Chapter 8

"Unfortunately by the time I did they were my only friends and still are."

"If they are your only friends maybe you should let them go and change your phone number too. Why don't I buy you a new phone, my treat."

"I have never cut someone off just like that."

"April does Mindy make you feel good about yourself.  Talk to you about you by that I mean. Do you two have meaningful conversations like we are doing right now?"

"No."

"Then there is your answer. The only thing the leech will missed is your money. You must tell me her last name. Yo said her husband was a stockbroker. What's his name?"

"Brad Miller."

"So can I buy you a new phone?"

"Yes, you can and thank you."

She takes a sip of her tea and checks Ashton out since he changed into black jeans and a blue sweater. April knew he looked good.  How the hell did he not have a girlfriend she wonders?

"Will an iPhone be okay for you April?"

"Yet that will be fine."

"It should be ready by tomorrow." He types something on his phone then looks up at her. "You should take a break dinner is almost ready."

"Good grief is it that late?"

"We spent a great deal of time taking."

"I'm glad we did I understand you better now. I didn't realise just how much I needed to talk. It's true that talking to a stranger makes you be more honest."

"So, the marriage situation.  What do you think about it?"

"Ask me at the end of the week."

"Apart from a picnic what else do you want to do in London?"

"Meet your mother."

"Of course."

"See a play and maybe a ballet."

"You're into the arts?"

"Yes, I'm. I don't know why but I feel like dancing. Is any of your friends throwing a party?"

"We can throw one if you want. You go back to New York on Friday right so we can throw one on Thursday."

"I love throwing parties and I won't need to hide the valuables."

Ashton looks at her in surprise, "I'm so glad I'm getting you a new phone. I assumed you have a separate one for business."

"Of course."

As the car drives through the streets of London Ashton looks over at his potential bride. She needed hope and he would give it to her.  "This part of London is called Kensington, right?"

"I've heard of it I think it's where the royals live."

"It is."

Ashton turns into a street with its own security guards then drives into a garage and cuts the engine. "Welcome to my humble abode."

He takes her hand and walks to his front door where it's open by a man wearing a black suit. "Good evening, Lord Adams and Miss Jones."

"April's darling, this is Edward my butler."

Edward does his best to hide his surprise at his master's words.  Ashton leads April into a large living room decorated in neutral colours of beige, and white. "I love the light green colour on the central wall Ashton.

"I'm glad you like it. Take my hand and I will show you the rest of the house."

After the tour Ashton shows April to her room, "Thank you.  I would love to go to Fortum and Mason while I'm in London."

"We can arrange that."

April hugs him, "Goodnight."

"See you tomorrow."

Over breakfast the next day April looks at her plate of food, "What's this call again?" She ask eyeing the beans, mushroom, sausage, bacon and a dark looking sausage on her plate.

"A full English."

"It's very nice."

"Since we will be busy today, I figured a big breakfast was in order. He takes a bite of his egg and grill tomatoes."

April holds up a yellow teapot with butterflies in Fortnum and Mason. "I'm definitely getting this. It's so nice and it's part of a set as well."

Ashton smile as he watches her pick up a saucer and cup. "We will order it and get it delivered to the house."

After choosing some more items they make their way to Selfridges then Harrods.  "Ashton fancy running into you here?"

April turns at the voice to see a skinny red headed woman with blue eyes looking at Ashton like he was meat. "Sonia, I'm surprised to see you here."

"A little birdie told me you were in London and was throwing a party but I haven't received an invite as yet. I was going to come anyway.  I'm here to buy a new dress for the party."

"It's considered rude to go to a party you weren't invited to."

Sonia looks at April as if she was beneath her, "And you're?"

"His fiancee."

"His what?" Ask Sonia in astonishment.

"You're not deaf, are you?" Ask April.

"Ashton please tell me she's joking.  She is American for goodness' sake."

April goes onto Forbes website and shows Sonia an article about herself and her net worth.

Sonia looks at Ashton who doesn't say anything.  She slumps her shoulders and leaves.

April turns to Ashton, "Why didn't you say something to her?"

"I've always ignored her, and she still hasn't gotten the hint yet. We went to school together. She is after me for my money and title nothing else. Talking to her would be encouraging her which I wouldn't do. I have already told her numerous time I'm not or ever will be interested in her."

"Oh, crap I said I was your fiancée, didn't I?"

"Yes, you did and if I know Sonia, she will be telling everyone we know about it."

"Your parents?"

"I told dad I was thinking of proposing to you this week and that we have been dating in secret for a while."
"You lied to him why?"

"It's important to my grandmother this marriage happens."

"What did your dad say?"

"He likes you and thinks you're a catch and gran said some nice things about you. So, he approves of our relationship April.  He can't know I'm getting married to a stranger."

"You want his approval."

"Doesn't every child want their parent's approval."

"That's true."

A full English

A full English