Chapter 37

"Dad! When did you get here?"

"April was asking for you and you left your phone at home. I didn't know you tried to take your life son." Cassie leaves, "I know I put a lot of pressure on you over the years. I'm sorry if that pressure made you think you had to leave this world."

"I would be lying if I said it didn't but I should've told you how I was feeling."

"Let's be honest back then I wouldn't have listened. I was so focused on being better and richer than my cousins. I didn't see anything beyond that and I'm sorry for causing you pain. This house belonged to my cousin and their parents. I hate living here."

"If you feel like that why are you still living here?"

"Your grandmother didn't want to leave Menden."

"I'm pretty sure she's ready to say goodbye to it now dad."

"Thank you for making her see she needs to. I have been trying for years to get her to let go of this place."

"And here I was thinking you liked living here because you were now lord of this place."

"Ashton I will always be grateful mum and dad were giving that money by dad's siblings. It changed our lives completely, but this place holds such sad memories for mum. Seeing her abuser here after not seeing him for so long. Dad's ex-girlfriend's situation. Then her cousin is held hostage in that blasted pub. I don't know how she could stand living here with all those horrible memories. Yet she endured it but she can never get away from her past while she is living here. Even now when I walk by the shop someone whisperers that's the guy whose mother was abused. If I get that imagine what mum hears."

"I can't believe you and I are talking like this. Never in a million years did I imagine we would have this conversation."

"Well we are and you were right Micah is the guy to take over the business. I was always proud of you for studying medicine Ashton. I used to brag my son was going to be a doctor. But I saw toward the last three months of your course you don't have the passion for it you once did. That's why I made such a fuss about you joining the company. I wanted you to know you had options. Ashton I want you to know whatever you do I will be proud of you and you will always be my son. I really like April she's good for you and I can see how happy she makes you."

"She makes me extremely happy dad and I love working at her company. I get to speak to scientist and doctors."

"I'm happy for you son."

Ashton takes the ice cream cone April gives him, "I know it's June but it's really hot. I don't think England got this hot in the summer."

"It does and I had a very good chat with gran and dad."

"I'm glad, you look like a burden has been lifted off of you. You will be happy to know I got tons of work done while you were on your walk."

"I'm glad. April we both came to Menden to heal. I've healed the rift with my family and we are finally letting go of this place."

"Really, that's great news Ashton."

"Like I said before we both came here to be healed."

"If I start talking Ashton I will have to admit despite what both of my siblings said. I know I can't trust them and it hurts too much to admit that to myself."

"You just did."

"I don't want to ask mum to choose between her bio kids and someone who isn't legally hers."

"She isn't blind she knows who they're and you're right to be cautious. Your sister saying the right things to you. After how she behaved towards you doesn't mean she has changed."

"I know that's why I feel so bad, I'm thinking the worse of her. Yet you and I both told her we forgave her."

"We said what felt right at the time. It was your father's death anniversary for goodness' sake April. One sibling was late and the other, well the less said about him the better."

"Why is my life so messed up Ashton. Why was I given this crappy messed up life?"

"You mean a loving husband, family and good friends."

"You know what I mean."

"I do and you need to start seeing the good things in your life instead of dwelling on the bad. This time next year you could be running the company of your dreams."

"I'm still going to miss them Ashton."

"Of course you're April you spent twenty-eight years of your life in a happy family dynamic with them. You just need to remember the five years they cut you off completely and wanted nothing to do with you. How they were so horrible that someone else. "I.e Meghan had to put them on blast."

She hugs him, "I know all that but it still hurts like crazy."

"I'm going to check if your sister is really a candy stripper. Then I'm going to speak to Jade." He sees the surprise look on her face, "Why did your brother keep calling you. And what did he want that Jade thought he would be okay with her schemes."

"I never looked at things from that prospective before, thank you Ashton."

"Our child will need to be around people we can completely trust and right now we can't trust your family."

"Like I said before prospective."