Chapter 30

"There's no reason for you to feel bad April. Brad and Mindy are a bunch of liars and crooks."

"I can't believe how ruthless I was speaking to the fathers of Mindy kids. I'm glad they agreed to take their children. Who knew I was good at blackmail and underhandedness."

"Your secret job comes with perks and power, real power. If it was a terrorist, we were dealing with today. I'm sure you would've done what needed to be done. And you know what you wouldn't have given it a second thought. In a way Brad and Mindy are a different type of terrorist."

"You're right Ashton thank you for giving me some prospective."

"You're welcome and if we are being honest Brad and Mindy aren't long for this world. Once I get their rap sheet and read through it properly. I'll do what I need to do to protect you. As long as they're alive they can talk and how can I know what they did to you and numerous other people and let them live. Like I said earlier April. I will back you one hundred percent."

"Thank you."

"We have to punish Pete, April. He should've told us what he did when he said you'll find out. I never expected he planted a bug in her and on her car. On the plus side he's very good at what he does. I'm glad we have him looking out for us."

"Me too. I've told our friends we moved and gave them our new address as well. They are all looking forward to seeing the new house. I'm surprise the owner wants only seventeen million dollars for it."

"It's a bargain April."

"I know. I'm starving let's go downstairs for dinner. I'm sure Pamela has cooked us up something amazing."

"We are having takeout tonight. The reason the house looks immaculate is because she and Pete spent most of the day cleaning it. Along with a cleaning crew of ten."

"I fancy Italian what about you?"

"Cuban, and how about a walk to the deli we saw on the corner later? We can get some food for breakfast tomorrow."

She rests her head against his and he puts an arm around her and they stay like that for a moment. "We have become so close in the space of a few short months Ashton."

"Who would've thought it. I remember when I first met you. I was like who is that cute women wearing that red dress.

"You thought I was cute that's sweet."

"Then my grandmother told me her plans for us and I remember my siblings and I didn't make the best first impression on you."

"Yet here we are happily married who would've thought that was possible."

"We both put in the effort needed to make this marriage work April it didn't happen by accident. I'm glad I took a chance on you. I'm also glad you said yes to me as well."

Ashton smiles at Jade the following day as she strolls towards him looking immaculate. Her dark hair was in a low bun and her no makeup look was flawless. She gives him a coy smile, "Good morning, Lord Adams."

"Jade HR needs to see you right away."

"I'll go now sir." She put her bag on her desk.

"Take it with you Jade," she beams at him. "Okay, I'll see you in a bit."

She passes April in the corridor, "Good morning, ma'am".

"Jade." April walks by her without saying anything else.

She hears Jade stop walking but she continues walking and doesn't look back.

"You know don't you?" Ask Jade.

April ignores her, "It doesn't matter I'll have the last laugh. Oh by the way I just finish a very interesting book call This Is Me Warts And All. You should ask hubby about it." She laughs and continues walking.

April doesn't say anything to Ashton about the book however she does look up the name of the book on the computer. She was shocked to see it was written by Cassie and even more shocked after reading the blurb to the book. That night she tells Ashton what Jade said to her.

"I am not ashamed my last name is associated with that book. My grandmother went through hell. Writing the book helped her and millions of other people who went through the same thing. She donated all the profits to a charity for survivors of childhood sexual abuse. She campaigned tirelessly to bring in new laws and set up the largest charity for sexual survivors in the uk."

"You or your grandmother have nothing to be ashamed of. Why Jade thought me knowing about Cassie would hurt me in some way makes no sense to me. I won't bring the subject up with your grandmother. I wouldn't dare to."

"Thank you for understanding my grandfather hasn't been dead a year yet. She doesn't need to know you are aware of her past."

"I promise unless she approaches the subject my lips are sealed."

"Thank you."

"Is that why you wouldn't have sex with me when I asked you to and bought up consent to me?"

"Yes it was, my grandmother had several chats with my siblings and I about what happened to her. People pitted her when they found out. Some accuse her of encouraging her father. Others that she enjoyed it. She used a surrogate to carry my dad. The woman almost didn't give her the baby because she thought my gran would abuse her own child."

"That is very sick and twisted there are horrible people in this world. To have your own father do something like that. I just can't imagine how Cassie coped."

"She had her stepdad and mum and a very supportive family and counselling helped."

"Jade is very twisted I wonder why she told me she would get the last laugh?"

"Who knows but she's gone from our lives and no matter how much she tries she won't find her friend the Millers."

"Every cloud has a silver lining. We should definitely have a dinner party here in two weeks."

We still have the one at Sarah and Marco to go to."

"I'm buying a new dress to wear."

"My wife looking forward to seeing friends."

She gives him a quick kiss, "I know and I'm having Jade watched."

"Derek is rubbing off on you I see."

"I know isn't it great, I'm so happy right now. We have a new house; friends and we know who the enemy is and I'm no longer a pushover."

Cassie's book is up.