Part 14

"My sister is in New York."

"I didn't know you were such a cruel person ma'am."

"She chose that woman over me."

"And Emma got justice because she did your highness. Please never forget that part of the story. I know for you everything that has happened is horrific but think about April for a moment. She was your good friend for over three years."

Meghan looks conflicted as Ashton continues, "She wonders her whole life why she was given away only to find out it was because she didn't fit her biological father's idea of perfection. Not only that but her birth mother never gave her a thought because she thought you were hers."

"I never thought of it like that before."

"Well Meghan you should've because whatever may have happened to you did so because you were wanted. Did you know the reason April cling on to her birth mother so fiercely was because once her adopted mother had her own kids. She felt like she didn't really matter anymore."

"I didn't know," Meghan begins to cry.

"Before she was that man's daughter she was your good friend. She went from being a part of your life to having the door shut in her face. If it was only up to me to decide the guest list I wouldn't invite you to the wedding. Whatever you may think of April she is that man's child and for twenty-eight years he was legally your father.

Meghan continues to weep.

"April uprooted her life from Nebraska to work for her sister because just being around you was enough for her. She wasn't even legally adopted by the people who raised her. April needs her friend and if you don't want to be a sister to her that's fine then be her friend. If you can't do at least that for her then don't come to the wedding. She wants you to be a bridesmaid and walk with the other woman she calls a sister down the aisle. I'm going to tell you something that April must never know that you know. Her siblings cut off contact with her for couple years.

"I didn't know," pleads Meghan.

"How could you when you ignored her so callously. She didn't change her phone number for the longest time. You want to know why? She hoped one day you would call her and make peace with her. You see Meghan while you got a title, a new family, lauded by the press. She was ignored, used and the people who were after her money came calling. That Mindy woman better pray she never meets me. She turned the fortunes around of a company that legally belongs to her. She was proud you trusted her with it."

"I've been blinded by my own pain."

"Yes, you have been. You were lucky you lived in a gilded cage but April spent twenty-eight years living like a normal person."

"You must really love her Ashton. I admire how she went back to college and make something of herself. I didn't know her friends was using her but I should've done. I've met many people like Mindy in my time. I will come to the wedding and apologize to her before her wedding day. My sister and sister-in-law are still in New York. I'll make sure they look out for her and interact with her. That they speak to her and are very friendly with her as well."

"Thank you and your sister means a great deal to me."

"I can tell. I will also be a bridesmaid at the wedding. Sometimes Ashton when you're in pain you can't see anyone else's."

"That's true but it's been almost six years, Your Highness and sometimes we just have to admit we messed up."

"I'm glad she has you looking out for her. I know I have no right to ask but please take care of her."

"Don't worry I will."

"Lord Ashton, you have created quite a first impression on me that I will always remember."

"Just remember when April introduces me to you it will be the first time we've met."

"Don't worry my lips are sealed."

Ashton takes the family's private plane back to London. He stops off in Mayfair and picks up the food he ordered earlier. As he was talking to Megan he had a moment of realization. His grief and her pain wasn't that different. He needed to deal with it before it overwhelmed him completely. April coming into his life was a blessing in disguise. His grandfather's death wasn't constantly consuming his thoughts anymore. The guilt of not saying goodbye to him was slowly turning into acceptance he was gone. There was nothing he or any of his family members could've done to change the outcome that day. Let's hope tomorrow I feel the same way he thinks to himself.

He gives Peter the food and hangs up his coat. He was surprised to see only April in the living room. He gives her a quick kiss and she put her hands around his neck and pull him in for a proper kiss.

"I've missed you."

"Me too,"replies April.

"How did wedding shopping go?"

"Great I wished I had some girlfriends to experience it with. Your sister loves her off the pale pink shoulder bridesmaid dress. I still haven't found a dress I like as yet."

"There's still time and you have New York, Paris and Rome to go to to look for a dress."

"That's true."

"Your mum bought me a gift. We ran into Gina and she introduced me to her as her future daughter in law. It was nice."

"What was the gift?"

"I'll show you later when we go upstairs."

"I bought food for everyone."

"Your sister is staying at your mum's and since the party is tomorrow. They gave us tonight to ourselves."

"That was very nice of them."

"Ashton where did you go? I tried calling you earlier but your phone was turned off?"

"Someone wanted to see me, and I only had a small window of opportunity to see them."

Peter comes in with the food Ashton bought with him, "Everything smells so good. I always wanted to try Goldman's Restaurant but it's so expensive."

"Since I got almost every main dish they sell, now you can. Is the rice ready that I asked you to cook?" Ask Ashton.

"Yes, it is, Pamela is just behind me with it now sir."

"Great."

Since it was just the four of them Peter rolls the cart in with the food, and everyone helps themselves to whatever they wanted. While watching love actually. Which April was watching by herself before Ashton came home. "It's nice eating in the living room while watching telly, "says Ashton.

The next day April checks her blue gown again. She was very nervous and excited. It was the first time she would be meeting some of Ashton's friends. Thankfully Peter was very good at his job and everything was ready on time for the party. The caterers had done an amazing job.

The doorbell goes and April feels slightly jittery but to her surprise when the door was open it was Ashton's family. "You look nervous my dear and please don't look so worried, tonight will go splendidly I'm sure. Don't forget they're here to see you and you're a future duchess. They all want to see Ashton's future bride and I'll tell you a secret."

"What Cassie?" Ask April.

"The woman will all want to get on with you and the men will do their best to not upset Ashton. You did announce today to the world press he would be taking over your company soon. You and my grandson are a power couple and naturally people will want to be associated with you both."

"I never looked at it like that."

"You and Ashton look very nice," says Elizabeth. Ashton was wearing an all-black suit and smiles at his sister for giving him the compliment.

"Thank you," says a delighted April. "I love your dress is it Prada?" It was a light blue ball gown style dress.

"It is, you have a good eye for fashion April."

"Thank you."

Who else can't wait until April and Meghan speak and meet?