Chapter 9

"It looks like we are engaged April. Let's go to Tiffany's so you can choose your engagement ring."

"No I don't like that one," something catches April's eye in the store. She picks up the emerald cut halo engagement ring with a diamond platinum band. "This is perfect."

"Its 1.1 carrot.  The lady has a good eye for quality I see," says the store assistance.

"If that's the one you want then you shall have it," declares Ashton.

"We are we going now?" Ask April.

"To see my mother she heard about my engagement from Sonia's mother."

"Ashton wouldn't your dad have said something to her?"

"Apparently he didn't."

"I'm going to meet your mother and I don't have a present."

"She has wanted me to settle down for years trust me you're the present."

"I'm three years older than you does that matter to you?"

"Not really I got myself a hot older woman."

"You think I'm hot?"

"Have you looked at yourself in a mirror lately you're extremely good looking."

"We make a good looking couple then."

"You just gave me a compliment."

"Why does it feel like we are flirting?" Ask April.

"Because we are my fiancée."

"You like saying that word don't you?"

"What fiancée, of course I do. You're not after my money, you're down to earth. I love that up until five years ago you lived a normal life and you have values. My wife is richer than me and I'm okay with it. Being born in my family comes with obligations you have to meet. Going to boarding school, Oxford university and you need to have the right circle of friends. To be seen at the right parties. Do you want to know a secret?"

"What?" Ask April.

"I don't care about any of  that."

"That's good to know."

"We are here."

April takes a deep breath, "Okay I'm ready I think. Wait how did we meet?"

"Gran introduced us."

"How long have we been together?"

"Four months."

"Why did you act like you didn't know me when I met your siblings?"

"I wanted to tell them about us privately and this is why you went back to college. You are all about the details"

A 5'8 blonde haired middle aged woman  with the same colour eyes as Ashton opens the front door of the house and watches as  Ashton takes April hand and helps her out the car. "Ashton my darling boy it's good to see you."

"Hello mother. This  is April."

"Hi April I'm Philippa, Ashton's mother.  It's nice to finally meet you."  She hugs April, "Come in, It's freezing out there."

"Thank you Duchess Philippa."

"You can call me Pippa, April. The housekeeper is doing us a pot of tea."

"British people really love their tea don't they?" Ask April even though she already knew the answer.

"It's the middle of February it's freezing cold April.  A spot of tea will warm you up nicely."  Pippa leads them into a living room where everything was laid out for tea. Only the teapot was missing.