Chapter 3

"Why not you," replies Cassie. My grandson can run your company for you while you help in the company. That's if you don't want to be a woman of leisure."

"You sit there with your cut class English accent posh as anything and answer why not you. I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth and my dad died when I was a teenager. So I worked hard for everything I have."

"I know, it's why you went to college for another four years to make sure a company you don't want succeeded. I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth either. I was from a working class background and education was my way out. My husband's family was just like mine. They were farmers and hated Alex and I being together but in the end everyone came round. Unfortunately a lot had to happen before we found peace."

"I'm sorry."

Cassie pats April's hand, "You're in a gilded cage right now. Menden has a lot of things to do. We have acres and acres of land you can go riding, shooting or just go for long walks."

"I need a break I'll come with you for a week."

"Excellent you won't regret it I promise."

"His grandfather must of meant a lot to him for Ashton to fall to pieces over his death."

"They were very close because Ashton was our first grandchild. He was doted on by everyone."

"If Ashton has just turned thirty why do you like look like you're in your early fifties?"

"What a wonderful complement I'm almost eighty my dear."

"Does Ashton know I'm coming and the reasons why?" Ask April.

"Your company is enough to hook him. You really have worked hard to make that company a success."

"Thank you. Am I going somewhere where everyone knows everyone and you didn't answer my question?"

"It use to be like that in the nearby village but a lot of new faces from London has changed the atmosphere. There use to be so many of my family in that village but..." she stops talking for a moment. "The truth is my family needs you."

"There is tons of other women in the world I'm not special."

A year prior

"Rachel what are you doing here?" Ask Cassie.

"Cousin it's been so long."

"Rachel Turner what can I do for you and we aren't technically cousins?"

"You know my Jamie died and my Annalise got married then there was that nasty business a year ago."

"You know I don't know anything unless you tell me," says Cassie.

Rachel smiles coyly, "My grand baby got married because my Jamie and his father had the sense to make sure Derek was available. Now I'm making sure their child will have a Derek or a Stiles if it's needed."

"What can I do to help?" Ask Cassie.

"There's a woman in America with Grant's blood. She is a very distance cousin of my husband. Your son has Turner blood they need to marry."

"You know I knew a Derek and Stiles who use to live in Menden. Stiles mother and my mother were sisters. I haven't spoken to them in forty years. Where they one of yours?" Ask Cassie.

"No, the current Derek and Stiles are ours. I helped out your Derek with something a long time ago. It's weird how our families keeps meeting a Derek and a Stiles."

"I'm curious why is Derek and Stiles the stations that you use now and again cousin?"

"Their love is one for the ages and when Annalise met her real life Derek Hale. I knew it was meant to be."

"I'll do what you ask of me but I need time," pleads Cassie.

"Six months cousin I will give you six months."

"I never thanked you for dealing with my abuser for me and everyone that was involved with him."

"Think nothing of it I was happy to do it. I felt pity for the crocodile who had to eat them. That's why I made sure everyone in the ring was drench in  blood before meeting their death."

"You're cruel."

"No I'm not, I throw them into the tank where they died instantly. Three adult crocodiles did the trick."

"Mercy that's so unlike you."

"I have my rate moments and those crocodiles deserved it.

The Present

"My dear if that were true I wouldn't be here now would I."

"If I do this and I mean if, I want to continue working in some capacity. My head quarters is in New York will we be moving here.  I mean Ashton and I?"

"That's up to the both of you but you can go back and forth  between there and here or have a branch in London."

"Ashton and I need to make those types of decisions."

"Does that mean you will marry him?" Ask Cassie.

"It means I'm thinking about it.  Didn't you say there was quite a few of you living in the village."

"Yes, unfortunately some years ago all my family members except for me, Alex, mum, my stepdad and my siblings left the village."

"That must have been hard for you?"

"It was but I understood the reasons why. My cousin married a billionaire duke and he helped my family change their lives. Some of their children have returned to the village but we aren't as close as we use to be."

"I'm sorry?"

"Why it's not your fault Cassie."

'There's nothing in New York for me so I'm definitely agreeing to see what Ashton is like."

"Thank you."

A few hours later April and Cassie leave for the airport. "Thank you for doing this for me April."

"You're welcome my secretary can fill in for me while I'm away."

"Have you ever been to England April?"

"No, this will be my first time and I'm looking forward to having fish and chips and a Sunday roast."

"That's good to know dear."

When they were on the plane April turns to Cassie, "What is it you're not telling me?"

"You're very perceptive just remember Ashton is a really nice guy. He's not what the tabloids make him out to be."

"Tabloids?" Ask a panicked April.

Cassie brings up a article on her phone, April sees the title Lord Adams is seen with yet another model on his arm."

"Rich man dates model is hardly something to phone home about." She says.

"Always remember you said that my dear."

"What has he got a secret child somewhere?

"Not that I'm aware but he doesn't strike me as the type."

"What does he actually do I have heard of your company and it's your son who is in the business pages not your grandson."

"He helps his father out and to be completely honest Ashton expected his father to have already given him the company."

"That must be hard to have worked your whole life for a company and feel like you have been tossed aside."

Cassie looks and her then look down at the floor. "What aren't you telling me?" April ask again.

Cassie's story is this is me warts and all. It's part of my Menden series like this book is. Rachel's story is losing myself it's part of the organisation series. My stories cross over at times.

Don't forget to add this story to your library for updates.