1: It all began here

Here's the first chapter of this novel. Read it and I hope you all like it

Chapter 1:

"Ms. Dutta, please come this way," the receptionist chirped, guiding me to the cabin where my personal interview was to be conducted.
I gently knocked on the hard oak door, waiting for the deep baritone of a man's voice to allow me entrance before turning the knob. Almost immediately, my eyes lock onto a tall, well-built figure. He looked to be about in his late 40's, but extremely fit for his age. An expensive looking black suit adorned his muscular body, accentuating his broad shoulders.
Things money can do! I thought, a bit envious. 
"Welcome to The Shenoy's 'La' Homme'! Congratulations, as it seems you have made it past the first rounds. We've assessed your potential and capability, and since your college has recommended you, we have an idea of how talented you are. However, now you may be tested on things not related to your field," the man spoke in a rush, almost as if he had already said this a million times. I wiped my sweaty palms along my dress pants, smoothing out any wrinkles. 
Finally, the man turned to face me. I noticed his hair had been dyed and he wore a stylish haircut, though that wasn't his most prominent feature. A small, black mustache resided on his upper lip, a few grey strands poking out. The sight of it made me want to giggle; it resembled a caterpillar. Lifting my gaze towards his eyes, I noticed how they looked gentle yet stern. 
He walked purposefully to his desk, opening a file and staring intently at its contents. 
"Please sit, Ms. Dutta," he exclaimed as he sat down in his huge leather chair. I obeyed without a word. The room we were in looked incredibly expensive and painstakingly decorated; perfect for the M.D of a big Interior Designing Retailer.  
"Hello, sir, and thank you for the wishes!" I flashed him a confident smile and he nodded.
"So, why do you think you should be selected?" he asked, getting straight to the point. I swallowed, a bit nervous.
"Well, I'm confident and, as you put it yourself, 'pretty talented'. I've come very far and I believe this to be the best platform to showcase my talent." Mentally, I pat myself on the back for not stumbling over my words like I sometimes do.
"You do know that Ronnie Shenoy is the boss here, correct? I'm only conducting the interviews." Almost as if an afterthought, he added, "I'm Narinder Shenoy."
I grinned widely and sat straighter in my chair.
"Which student here does not know you, sir? You are an ace, the king of the business! You've turned the Shenoy's 'family business' into the ultimate store 'La' Homme', even expanding outside of the country!" I gush excitedly. I've heard so much about Mr. Narinder and I can't help but look up to him. The man's kind of a legend in the interior designing business.   Narinder chuckled, seemingly amused.
"I'd say that I'm flattered!" After a moment longer, his face turns serious.
"Ronnie handles all of the stores in India. If I'm completely honest, he is quite difficult to work with. I've been told he's... suffocating, in a way. And you may work hard, but that doesn't mean Ronnie will appreciate it. There is a good chance you will be insulted, embarrassed, and have to face the wrath of his temper." Narinder folded his hands and gazed at me intently.
"Are you ready for this?" he asked gently but firmly.
I gulped, breaking eye contact. I picked listlessly at a stray thread on my sleeve. Could I really do this? This man, this Ronnie... he seems like quite the brute!
"Are you trying to scare me away, Mr. Shenoy?" I murmured, laughing nervously. Narinder gave me a grave look.
"This isn't a joke, Ms. Dutta. If you were to talk to him like you have with me today, you would be escorted out of this building. You talk only when spoken to and only to answer a question," he finished, leaning back in his chair.
My stomach lurched nervously. This job didn't sound pleasant whatsoever, but it was the chance of a lifetime. I had to at least give it a shot.
"Sir, I feel lucky to reach this level and to be sitting here, right in front of you," I started, slowly feeling my confidence climb higher with each word.
"Though it may be difficult, I know that Ronnie and I can make it work. If I somehow ruin this opportunity I've been given, I would never forgive myself."    Silence enveloped the room. Narinder's eyes stared into mine so fixedly it felt as if he was glimpsing through to the depths of my soul. Finally, after what felt like ages, he smiled.
"Ms. Dutta, I think I like you. You're hired." Narinder then suddenly stood, extending his hand for me to shake.
Smoothing down my clothes once more, I stand and gladly clasp my hand in his. I leave the building feeling like I'm on top of the world.
This is how I--Kathy Dutta--received my first job as an intern in one of the largest interior design chains in all of India. I'm 21, almost 22, and a student of a well known college for interior designing in Mumbai, where I've completed my second year with top grades. Without my college's recommendations, I would have never been granted the chance to visit 'La' Homme' for an interview.   In an even better mood than normal, I decide to play a prank on my family. Just before I walk into my house, I attempt to appear depressed, even making my eyes water a bit. My parents, cousins, and friends all rush to my side as soon as I open the door.  
"Oh, honey," my mother murmured once she saw my face. She crushed me in a bone-crunching hug, stealing my breath. Finally, I couldn't help it; I started laughing loudly and they all gave me confused looks.
"I'm hired!" I screeched. Their faces flushed, conflicting emotions crossing their features until they decide on one: joy.
Well, this is me! I'm bubbly and full of life, and I always find the brighter side to things. I love playing pranks on people and I can't be serious even during the toughest of times.
My friends start hitting me for such a joke, while my cousins dance and my parents wear proud smiles. And for the rest of the night, we celebrated my victory.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you for reading! Vote / Comment / Fan me if you like it!

-Hemii :)