9: The wedding

Chapter 9:

The wedding preparations began in full swing at both the houses. They planned a low-key typical Bengali wedding. Everyone was really happy and wedding was to happen in a week so everyone got very busy in making arrangement like booking a proper hall for the wedding, planning events for every pre-wedding ceremony. The Shenoy’s convinced Kathy’s family about the marriage very easily but it was tough to convince Kathy. She demanded explanation and was really furious too.

“What is going on? What are you people talking about?” Kathy asked Ronnie’s parents when she first saw them at her place on that day. She made sure her parents weren’t around when she asked that.

“What?” Mr. Narinder asked her and she made a face.

“Why do you want me to marry Mr. Shenoy? Why did you come here in the first place? Why?” she demanded an answer.

“Why won’t you marry Ronnie? He is rich, handsome and famous. What else do you need?” Mr. Shenoy answered and she looked at him with disbelief.

“Oh you think you’ll show me money and I’ll dance on your tune? Oh just dream on! I’m not marrying him, not in a hundred years, you get that? You can’t force me!” Kathy yelled at the three of them, not believing that her idol was so cold-hearted right now. Ronnie was really impressed with Kathy right now as she stood against people who he almost despised.

“Calm down, Ms. Dutta and I’m sorry about Mr. Shenoy’s behavior! It’s just that the things haven’t really been good these days. Ever since the day when those pictures were shown in front of all those people, a lot of things are being said about you, about Ronnie, about our company. The company’s reputation is at stake and we tried to keep those images away from media scrutiny for quite some time but there are chances that it may be shown on TV. This will really make things worse for us and for you too! How will your family react to this? How will they leave their house without the fear of getting humiliated? You didn’t want them to know about what happened to you in the office that day, about those incidents but now there are chances that the whole city will know about this. What will you do then?” Mrs. Shenoy stepped forward and took control of situation and tried to make Kathy understand showing motherly concern. Ronnie let out a small groan seeing that his parents made her believe them once again.

“But this will spoil our lives. You think we both will be happy after this? How will we spend our life with each other when we don’t even know anything about each other? When we don’t love each other? In fact, we can’t even stand each other or make normal conversations! Mr. Ronnie, why did you agree to marry me?” Kathy asked when she thought about the entire explanation Mrs. Shenoy gave. Ronnie stared at Kathy with wide eyes when Kathy said all those things. He did not really thing about all these things. It was like he’d become a robot and was functioned to do everything that his parents asked. Mrs. Patel had convinced him to do this and help in improving Kathy’s image in front of everyone and that’s the only reason he agreed to marry her.

“You will fall in love; you’ll know each other better after every passing day! Give it a try at least! Okay, make it like you marry him now and umm…stay together for a year and try to know each other more and more and if you still don’t feel like staying together just end your marriage! Sign a contract for now if you want to, fair enough?” Mr. Shenoy asked her with a pleading look on his face and Kathy thought about it. Ronnie just shook his head with disbelief. His dad crossed all his limits today. Not once he asked Ronnie about how he felt, what he wanted, what turn his life will take after this contractual wedding! Ronnie got irritated now.

“Just say yes, we’ll break this relation after a year! I’ll make sure you get a good reason to leave me! Don’t over think things and waste so much time!” Ronnie said with a bored expression on his face. The only thing he enjoyed was being around Kathy family and friends as they gave him so much attention, love and respect. It made him feel like a part of family and he experienced how it is like to be a part of a family, he saw how a family is actually. Ever since the Holi celebrations, he looked forward to meet them all.