18: Sweet Distance

Dedicated to:  InsaneTitanium

Chapter 18:

“I said I’m sorry, didn’t I?” Ronnie said grabbing Kathy’s arms and making her face him. After an awkward and silent ride they back in Mumbai-Ronnie’s home. Ronnie was really angry pissed with Kathy when he forced himself on her but he really felt bad about it. He should’ve known how she’d feel because not long ago Raj had tried to rape her. He had seen broken then. Being angry could never justify what he did to her.

Kathy ignored him and pushed his hand away from her. She grabbed all her bags and went inside her room and locked the door behind her. She was relieved that his parents did not stay with him and it’d only be the two of them. What Ronnie did, had really hurt her. She slid down the door and sat down on the floor with her back pressing against the door as her arms pulled her legs closer to her, hugging her body. She now allowed the tears to fall down freely. She had controlled herself a lot while she was in front of Ronnie, but now they looked for an escape.

“Ms. Dutta, please listen to me once- I’m really really sorry! Open the goddamn door” he said with guilt and frustration. But Kathy was not going to forgive him anytime soon. She just couldn’t. He should’ve known how broken she was when it happened to her in his office.

She got up and went in to the bathroom to freshen up and to go away from Ronnie’s persistent calls. After a long and warm relaxing shower she felt fresh physically but was still lost in her thoughts as she sat down on the French window marble, looking out of the window; not noticing anything.

Ronnie gave up on convincing her and decided to give her some time alone so that she could cool down. He got ready and left for office. On the exterior, he was back to his normal self- strict, arrogant, rube boss that everyone was kind of scared of. He got lost in his work and tried not letting his mind wander to those events but that guilt feeling kept coming back to him. One of the friendly colleague had come up to him and cheerily asked him about Kathy which made him uncomfortable but he ignored that and nodded saying she was doing well.

At home, Kathy was still stuck in the last nights events. Her mind drifted to Monish, Ronnie, the last few months of her life, her short-lived Goa trip with Ronnie. She sighed and thought about her future as now she was all alone and, with no work to do. She knew that she would keep thinking about all the depressing things in her life if she sat down like this. So now she concentrated on selecting a perfect future option. She smiled when she had made up her mind and got up to get her laptop and quickly looked for a good institute that would teach her and also allow her to participate in contests globally. She found one institute and checked in all the details before filling up all the details and securing a place for her in that institute. She was all ready and really excited about going there as her would-be mentor was one of her ideals and the one of the best in the country. She literally started counting the number of days left for it. She was going to do what interested her, other than being Interior decorator. It was DANCE!

It was soon late evening when Kathy walked out of her room. She had spent entire day in her bedroom, thinking and then planning her future. She walked straight in the kitchen and started making dinner. She played a random song from her play list in her I-pod and swirling in the kitchen- dancing, singing - out of tune, cooking all at the same time. She was so lost in her world that she did not even notice Ronnie entering the house with his own spare keys. It was only when she jumped doing some weird step as she tried to reach the refrigerator did her leg hit Ronnie’s and she lost balance. Her nails dug in to Ronnie’s arms and her eyes were tightly shut; trying to stay from falling. He steadied her and gave her an amused look. She now became conscious and shifted away from him, her face red from embarrassment and her eyes looking down at the floor.