37: Silent suffering

Dedicated to: Beckyannshik

Chapter 37:

Lying on the couch with one leg hanging on the floor was Kathy; the side of the armrest was visibly wet from her tears. As she was sleeping a little snoring sound escaped as her nose was blocked and red from all the crying she had done last night. Her fingers were tightly wrapped around the small square shaped pillow that was close to her chest and her hairs were disheveled too.

Ronnie walked out of his room; his face wore a scowl, his dressing uptight and his body language stiff. He did not feel like going to the gym that day and it seemed like he was going back to being heartless Ronnie that no one dared to mess with but he was only trying. He stopped when he heard the sound and looked around only then. There he saw Kathy lying flat on her stomach and took in her condition. His glare turned a little soft when he took in her face. He walked towards her cautiously as he did not want to wake her up.

"I can't believe that I fell for a girl who has only loved that one guy who has hurt her, all her life. I knew it all along. Why did I have to be so stupid? I can't blame you! I shouldn't have reacted that way. I think I should let you go...see, everything's perfect now! You were so happy with him last night. That image kept running in my mind all night. I took your-our friendship for love, I know I was stupid. I thought maybe I'd a chance, but I know you can't love someone like me. I've realized that I-I was better before... I was living life peacefully before you came! I have to distance myself from you! I've to go back to my old life!" he said softly as he brushed his finger on her forehead and pushed back a few strands of her nest-like hair, a single tear drop rolled out of his eyes and fell on the tip of Kathy's nose. She stirred a little in her sleep which made him get up leave. He contemplated if he should at least leave a note for her but decided against it. This was probably the beginning of his old ways. He glanced at her one last time before he decided to leave.

Kathy woke up after a while and sensed a sharp pain in her back. Her hands massaged her sore muscles as she looked around the room. She wondered how she fell asleep in the living room but soon the foggy picture cleared in her mind. Memories from last night came back into her mind and she panicked. She got up from the couch and rushed to his bedroom only to find it empty. She then knocked his bathroom door but got no answer whatsoever. She walked towards the kitchen to find it empty too. She had to explain him everything. She had to do something, she had to make him believe her.

She looked around for her cell phone and found it below the couch. Her fingers frantically searched for his number and dialled him but to her dismay the number was 'not reachable'. She sat down on the couch as if someone had just knocked life out of her. She had to do something and time was running out of her hands as were the tears.

Throughout the day, Kathy kept trying to call him only to hear that his cell was switched off. She found that was really strange because he never switched off his cell phone, at least for the sake of business. She hoped that he was alright and then she tried to busy herself somehow. Later that evening, she recieved a call from Mrs. Shenoy who invited her over afternoon tea. Kathy somehow managed to squeeze out Ronnie's whereabouts without showing how clueless she really was.

"What's wrong Kathy, you seem awefully quiet!" Mrs. Shenoy asked her over tea, bringing her back from her daydreams.

"Uh-I, me...Nothing, I'm good." she tried to smile.

"You do know that I know that you're lying, right? Want to talk about it?" she asked her.

"Its nothing, really. I hope they crack the deal!" she said, a little more convincing this time.

"Don't worry about that, they will. My son is really talented!" she waved her hands, dismissing the topic entirely but kept her eyes trained on Kathy.

"You miss him already?" she smiled at her. Kathy's eyes widened and she let out a cough.

"You both are still in the honeymoon phase, its okay to miss him. You both are so cute. I knew you were the right girl for him but I didn't know that you'd change him so soon. I'm so proud of you!" Mrs. Shenoy told her happily.

"I didn't do anything; if anything, he's the one who looked after me all this time!" she smiled at Mrs. Shenoy.

"He'll be back soon, child. Two days, just two days and he'll be back from Pune." Mrs. Shenoy comforted her.

"Its not about the distance of a few miles but about how far he has gone away from me emotionally. I wish I'd bring him back. I wish I had a chance to start something with him...something beautiful that would last for an eternity!" she thought as she finished eating.

Two days rolled by and eachday seemed longer than the previous one. She tried calling him throughtout that time but got no chance to clear out things with him. She still met Monish and talked and tried to cheer him up, feeling guilty at the same time. But they were best friends and she'd to support her best friend.
A doorbell brought her out of her thoughts. She walked out of her room excitedly and reached the door with a huge smile on her face, thinking it was Ronnie.

"Kathy...I'm so happy, all thanks to you! Thank you for being there with me. Riya's back...We're back!" Monish said as he hugged her tightly. The elevator door opened at that minute and Ronnie walked out from there. Kathy's heart began beating wildly and she panicked, knowing things were getting tougher.

"Hey Monish! Good to see you look after her." he smiled and entered his house, leaving a shocked Kathy and Monish behind.

"It seems like he's in a good mood! Finally my best friends husband doesn't hate me anymore!" he smiled as they entered the house too. Kathy's heart broke at Ronnie's cold behavior. She knew the exact meaning behind his words.

"I'll be back in a minute. I'll see if he needs anything!" she smiled and walked into his bedroom. His bag rested at the foot of the table and a fresh pair of clothes were kept on the bed. She jumped behind the door and hid herself as soon as she heard a click at the bathroom door.

She stared at his smooth, shiny, toned body with awe. She sniled thinking about all those times when she saw him shirtless. She resisted an urge to run her fingers there.

"Hello Mr. Malik!" his rough, thick voice caught her attention. She hid herself behind, missing a mirror that gave away he presence to him. Ronnie looked and smiled seeing her hiding there in a weird fashion. Shaking his head, he finished talking 'business' and ended the call. But an idea stopped him from throwing away his phone. He changed the setting of his phone to 'silent' as he spoke through the mouthpiece of his ear phones.

"Mr. Malik I also want to know if I can terminate this contract marriage two months prior?!" he said and took in her reaction to this, as he paused for an effect. Kathy gulped and her fingers pressed ino the hardwood of the door and her eyes glazed.

"Yeah, I can't live with her anymore! A man has certain needs, I can't turn down the pleasurable things that are offered to me. Besides, she is so clingy and over the top. I can't go out with her without facing humiliation. She is so not my type!" he said and let out a laugh. Kathy was now crying and turned her face away from him. Her heart shattered and she felt disgusted in herself for loving him. She wondered if everything he did, everything he made her feel was true or just an act.

Ronnie locked himself in the bathroom and punched a wall as angry tears fell down on his face. He felt disgusted in himself for saying those things about her. But he also felt let down when he saw Monish and Kathy hugging earlier. No matter how hard he tried to forget her, it seemed impossible.

Now things were turning ugly and there appeared a dark, endless hole that was drowning both of them. Ronnie wanted her to forget him and go back to the love of her life, he wanted her to be happy and Kathy couldn't hate him even though his words kept ringing in her mind, he was all she needed. Things were ending for both of them. Was it really the end?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Please Vote / Comment / Follow me / Share this story if you like?!

Thanks for reading.

-Hemii :)