15: Adventurous road journey

Here's the next chapter!

Chapter 15:

“What do we do now?” Kathy asked Ronnie, worry written on her face.

“I don’t know…maybe we can try to get a lift?” Ronnie said.

“Sahib, highway pe Kisi par bhi yakeen nahi karna chahiye! (Don’t trust anyone passing by this highway!)” The driver warned them.

“Shankar, tumhe pata h yaha pe Kisi mechanic ke bare me? (Do you know if there’s any mechanic over here?)” Kathy asked him.

“Ek hai par kaafi time lagega usko yaha lane Mein! Apko yaha uss hotel me Jana padega aaj raat ke liye! (It’ll take a lot of time to get him here! You both should go and spend the night at that motel over there!” the driver suggested.

“Tumhara dimaag kharab ho Gaya hai Shankar? (Have you lost your mind, Shankar?)” Ronnie yelled and Kathy tried to calm him down.

“Gaadi check karni chahiye thi pehle! (You should’ve checked the car before!)” Ronnie told the driver.

“Sahib, memsaab ne aaj subah hi kaha mujse ki aap dono ko Goa le Jana hai…to Mein kya karta? (Ma’am informed me about your trip to Goa only today afternoon, how am I wrong in this?)” The driver told him and he sighed; he was really frustrated then.

“It’s okay Mr. Shenoy, I think we should go and rest in that motel tonight. It’s fine!” Kathy said.

“Are you crazy? Its looks like a piece of shit! I’m sure that place isn’t good enough!” Ronnie told her. Kathy walked out of the car and started walking in the direction of that motel. ‘Swagat Lodge’ it read and was written in huge red color font with lights around the board. Anybody could see from a distance that it was really small and looked like it hardly had about 10-15 rooms there and it wasn’t maintained properly.

“Where are you going?” Ronnie yelled as he saw her walking away.

“I’ll stay there tonight. You can come there if you want to! It’s better than sleeping inside the car!” she replied and started walking again. Ronnie took a deep breath and looked at her with anger. ‘She never listens to me’ he thought and walked behind her.

“FINE! Let’s go!” he said. Kathy smiled at that.

They both walked towards the small place they called a hotel. Ronnie scrunched his nose as he looked around. The reception like thing was right next to the entrance with an old man sitting there. There were a few chairs, a vase with some dead flowers in it, it had a telephone that looked like it was broken, and the place had some strange kind of smell which wasn’t exactly foul but not good either. Next to the counter/desk/reception were spiral stairs that probably led to the rooms. On the other side of that small space was a passage kind of thing which mostly led to rooms like the kitchen, laundry, etc. Ronnie made a face at Kathy.

“You sure you want to stay here? I don’t think this place is safe! And look at the oldie sitting there, he looks like a villain!” Ronnie asked her, ready to take a U-turn.

“Are you scared Mr. Shenoy?” Kathy asked him, a smile playing on her lips at that thought.

“Of course not! I’ve to look after you!” he said and Kathy choked on her spit.

“Did you just say that?” she asked, not believing a word he said.

“Let’s get over with this!” he said, ignoring her comments and walking towards the counter.

“We want two rooms for a night! What’s the tariff here?” Ronnie asked the man.

“You’re so polite!” Kathy mumbled.