Ch. 15 Processing False Hopes

Shoto's POV

My breath hitched as I looked down at her cold body pressed into my chest. Lifeless eyes stared up at me and I screamed. "No- (Y/n), you can't leave me, I need you- I-" Tears poured down my face and I watched in horror as her sliced up arm reached up and touched my face.

"It's okay Shoto, just let me go."

I woke with a harsh gasp that had me flinching and putting my hand on my neck. "He's awake! Jeez, man! We thought we lost you!" Kirishima's worried gaze had me looking around at the small group.

"Where am I?" I asked groggily, the nightmare threatening to edge into my vision.

"The hospital! You had a massive panic attack!" Ochako's hand had grabbed mine.

"But, we can't blame you, with the way- ow?!" Iida had smacked Sero before he could finish his sentence, but he didn't need to. I looked down, ashamed.

"Where… is she…?" At my quiet question, the group parted to show me a bed on the other side of them, a bandaged body laying on there, no identifying traits to tell me it was her, but I trusted my classmates. As I went to get up they all walled back up.

"No! You're sitting here until the doctor comes in and checks on you!" Iida demanded. "I'll go get them." He left the room and I sighed.

"Just… let me watch over her from here…" I whispered. They parted and I watched the bed with dead eyes, my mind shutting down. It didn't feel real, she was just in the hospital about 2 and a half weeks ago, and yet, she's here again.

Hatsume ran in and I started crying as she leaned over the bandaged faced girl, crying out and yelling that she'd get Aizawa for his thoughtless request. "Hatsume…" I called, reaching my arm out, she didn't even look this distraught when (Y/n) got her head injury. Her piercing yellow eyes brought me back to the present and she ran over to me, hugging me.

"Shoto!! You guys… I'm so sorry." Her loss of words didn't bother me, I didn't feel like a victim though.

"It's my fault, I should have stopped him, or had been able to run over to her." I muttered and looked down at my hands. "I tried reaching for her… but it was all-" the words caught in my throat and I leaned back.

"Todoroki! You can't blame yourself. She started losing blood the moment she activated his quirk, it would have been futile." Whoever was speaking made sense, but I couldn't accept it. I could have stood by her and told Aizawa no. I should have doubled down and enforced a no. But I didn't and now she was here in the hospital, half dead, maybe to never recover. My eyes closed and I tried to steady my breathing. I never did too well with expressing my emotions, and the amount of people in the room was uncomfortable to say the least. When Iida opened the door with the doctor and some nurses, my classmates left.

"I'll be back! Keep an eye on (Y/n) for me." Hatsume casted me a soft smile as she left. It hurt, the idea of being trusted to watch her.

"Does it hurt anywhere?" At the doctors question, nurses prepared to do vitals.

"Not anywhere that you could deal with.." I muttered, clenching my fist.

"Look here." He sighed and I peered up at him. "Follow the light." Doing the dumb routine to make sure I was fine, I pondered what would happen. What could have happened. "You're all good to go." I nodded at his leisurely go ahead before watching as he left. Hopping off the bed finally, I crept over to the resting girl. The sounds of the machines were loud, overbearingly so, and yet, it sounded so deaf in there. The nurse casted me a worried look as she replaced the blood bag.

"She was in an accident." I nodded.

"I know. She's my soulmate." I replied, glancing up at her as she covered her mouth.

"O-Oh my apologies." She scurried out and I sighed, collapsing into the seat next to her.

"(Y/n), you wake up. Please. I want to apologize. I want… I want to tell you how much I love you…" It was hard, looking at her. All she was was a bandaged up body, and it hurt. It hurt because I couldn't stop it. I understood just what she went through… She must have suffered even more than I did. As I sat by her bed, eyes trained on the dead ceiling, the door opened.

"Good, you're up." My eyes opened and I sent a glare at the raven haired male.

"Get out." I hissed, standing up. "You're not welcomed here." My arms outstretched and I stood ground between her bed and our teacher.

"As your guardian, I am not leaving. Sit down, Todoroki." My fist balled and I pointed at him.

"She's in this very bed because of you! Because you couldn't listen! I didn't blame you for the fire. I didn't blame you for what Yaoyorozu did to me. Or for not helping. But I can and I will blame you for this!" I had only realized my scream and the fact I had started to flame and ice at my hands when Aizawa erased my quirk.

"Why don't you-" His scarf unraveled and trapped me before I could react. "Sit down, Todoroki."

"It's your fault." I reiterated, my eyes watering again. "You should have-"

"She's in the hero course, and even though no villains have attacked since she's started, she is in fact, still a hero student. She's going to get hurt, either you accept it, or don't." I frowned, I didn't like his answer.

"Hurt, yes, be in danger, yes. But this wouldn't have happened. It's not like anyone can force her to do that aside from someone who either has a brainwashing quirk, or is a teacher with power." I glared. "Leave."

After the confrontation, and the small argument, when he left, I went back to sitting next to the girl in question, hoping she'd wake up as soon as possible. "Where's our babies?!" The door opened and I shot out of my seat, on guard, only to relax as I saw her parents in the doorway. "Shoto, we were so worried when we heard!" The two surrounded me, trapping me in a hug.

"You all good, son?" I shook my head.

"Don't worry about me, I wasn't the one hurt." I muttered, leaning my face into their shoulders.

"Don't be strong for us, Shoto." At her moms quiet plea I faltered. "(Y/n) tried that once, it really doesn't make it easier." I looked down solemnly.

"I really fucked up." I admitted to them, wrapping my arms around them both. "I spent months not understanding just what flowers meant to her. How they could signify the idea of death." I muttered. I spent so much of my childhood stuck in my own pain, my own hell, to even notice the small flowers on rare occasions or to pay attention to the time I had them on my arm, if I did… Would I have met her sooner? Would I have been better? It really shouldn't have taken her nearly dy- I couldn't finish the thought, letting her parents go to grab the necklace out of my shirt. Rubbing the warm metal, I felt my eyes water again. I hate crying…

"She's never blamed you for the flowers. Or the pain." Their attempt to console me was futile as I separated from them as much as possible, turning around.

"(Y/n)-"

"Stop. I'm not your child to worry about. So unless you're going to stay here till she wakes up, don't bother." I couldn't stop my tone from turning icy, turning around only when I heard the door shut. Kneeling by the bed, I resting my head on the mattress. It'll be like the other times she's ended up on a mattress similar, and she'll wake up in no time.

But of course, that only happens in fantasies.

1374 words!!! These chapters aren't quite on the lengthy side. Judy work with me please, loves!
~Lisa