Ch. 24 Selfish Envy

I'm well aware my art sucks. Thanks.

Shoto's POV

Waking up with a pounding head seemed to be the least of my worries as I fumbled out of Midoriya's room. "Midoriya! Midoriya!!" Looking around, I glanced down at Mineta, who ran towards me from his room. "Are you and Uraraka okay? You guys haven't been seeing each other as much this week. You didn't break up, did you?" I could see his genuine concern underneath his hopeful gaze.
"What? No no, we're doing as good as always!" I corrected quickly. "Just focusing on our schooling for the moment!" I answered.
"Oh! Of course. Of course." He stalked back to his room, and I tried to ignore the question in a whole. But of course, I couldn't.

My eyes bored into the two as they sat at lunch, chatting it up. (Y/n) laughed, and I frowned more, looking at the katsudon I had to eat to keep up appearances. You never make her laugh. You have no humor, no social skills. You fail at everything he succeeds in, and those things make her happy. Just give it up. She obviously has no problem just pushing you aside and labeling you as her friend. Blinking back rapidly as I noticed tears tickling my nose, I silently cursed Midoriya's easily triggered body. "Deku! Are you alright?" Uraraka was quick to grab a napkin and wipe my face, and I flushed at the action.
"Oh! Oh yes, of course! Just- so touched by the story?" Giving a mock smile, I moved away from her a centimeter, nodding. "Thank you." I finished quietly. I refused to look at the five, even though I could feel their gazes. Iida was clueless, to my knowledge, but the others knew it was me, and I hated it. I wasn't the one making them laugh, and it never bothered me to be the quiet one at the table. That was until I watched from the outside. He looked like me, sounded like me, but he wasn't me. He was confident, happy, sociable, actually smart when it comes to cues… It was like I was looking at the perfect upgraded version. What I could have been. Picking up my tray and heading to the trash, I was stopped by a hand on my shoulder.
"Midoriya, you barely touched your food. Are you okay?" Slowly turning towards the significantly taller male, I nodded.
"Yeah! Just not feeling too good today! I woke up with a headache.. and my stomach hasn't calmed down all day." I answered carefully.
"My! You should have told Aizawa! I'm sure he'd let you go to the dorms early!" Grimacing at first, I paused. I could go there, I wouldn't have to see them again today-
"Maybe I should.." I answered finally. "Thank you for the concern, Iida!"
"Here, let me help you to him." Nodding, I allowed him to lead the way, frowning. Would he have been this kind if I was me? Or would he have assumed I'd just do this all on my own? By the time we had made it to the teachers lounge, I was nearly dragging my feet, just wanting out of my own head.
"Yes?"
"Hello! Midoriya here says he feels sick. Spoke of a headache and stomach ache." Looking up into the dead gaze of my teacher with my matching own, he sighed.
"Would you like to go see Recovery Girl… ugh, or just go to your room?" Frowning guiltily, I looked aside. "I'll see you later, Midoriya." Nodding, I parted ways from them.
"Thank you, sir." I mumbled.
The moment I made it to the dark room, I collapsed into the bed. Stupid. Stupid. Stupid! How could you ever think you'd be good enough? Your life is a drag, your father literally tried to kill her and you think she'd just accept you? 'What' is basically your catchphrase. She was so happy… without me… We've barely texted since this incident, and we don't talk.. Maybe I should give up… Let Midoriya have my life. I wouldn't have to deal with my father! That's a bonus….. Right?
"Todoroki." Waking up, I looked at the dark figure in the room, unsure of the fact I had even fallen asleep. "You must have actually been sick." The light flicked on, and I squinted at the raven haired teacher who stood with his back leaning on the door. Watching his every move as he kicked off the door, I sat up properly. "Kid, you're not bringing your A- game again." He sat on the edge of the bed, his scrutinizing gaze pierced through my soul, and I gulped. "You started doing better when you went back to therapy, when was your last session?" Looking down at Midoriya's hands, I sighed.
"Last Wednesday. I rescheduled my two appointments this week due to the body swapping."
"Maybe you should go see them-"
"It's okay. By this time tomorrow I'm sure Hatsume will have this sorted out. It's bound to be the case." Being quick to argue with him, he sighed.
"Even if it's not, I expect you to see them Monday when you most likely rescheduled it to. Stuff like this happens, I'm sure they'd let you in." Frowning, I bit my lip.
"Fine. Fine. Is that all you wanted?"
"You missed training today. I thought I'd check on you."
"It would have just been more hand to hand..." I muttered. A knock sounded at the door before it creaked open.
"Oh, Aizawa, sir! Is this a bad time?" Aizawa shook his head, standing.
"I'm leaving, so it's okay." I sighed and watched Midoriya walk in. The door shut behind Aizawa, and I raised a brow.
"You doing okay? You left after lunch and we were all so worried." I frowned and looked away from him, glaring at the ground.
"Has anyone asked you if things were okay with (Y/n)?"
"H-huh? No! No, but if they would have, we already came up with an excuse and everything! We have this totally under control." Oh- See, they all just kept you out of the loop, they probably just assumed you'd be too hard to work with. You always are. Fists Balling at my side, I tried hard to conceal the fact I could feel myself shaking. "Hey now, did someone ask about Ochako?" I just gave him a simple nod.
"Maybe you should leave." I muttered. Just let it all out, hit him.
"No." Pausing, I looked up at him mid deep breath. "What is wrong with you, Todoroki?" Frowning more, I stood up, looking up at my own eyes.
"I'm now shorter than my soulmate! She wants nothing to do with me! And you guys are all just real good at pretending nothing's wrong. Well, I'm sick of it!" I finally yelled. Eyes widening as I was shoved back onto the bed, I looked up at Midoriya, who gave me a steely look. A look I was sure I gave a lot of people.
"Did you forget how busy she is? Just before this happened, you were so hell-bent on trying to help her relax, and suddenly you just forgot she was busy?" I'm so small… "Just because she's not having dance practice with you doesn't mean she's not doing anything. Instead, we spend that time working with Aizawa! You have a soulmate who's working really hard. Because your worry and your anger at her almost dying reminded her that she's not here for just herself. She told me herself while we trained with Aizawa." He slowly brought himself closer to me, and I backed up. "She loves you, and you're too stubborn to see it. So, if you think she's ignoring you or whatever, remind yourself that it's a two-way road. Maybe! She wants you to text her first." He stood up and stormed from the room, taking with him all the confidence I thought I had. I'm just a problem. He's right, I let the issue at hand overcast the problems she's facing. She's still stressed, nothing changed for her- Looking around the room, my heart dropped. Pulling out my phone, I sighed, opening our texts.

[Me: Hey.]

Waiting for a response, I fiddled with my phone, looking at the wallpaper I had of us.

[(N/n)💖: Hey Sho! Are you doing okay?

Me: Yeah. So, I was wondering, do you maybe want to watch a movie?]

Staring at the text, I frowned.

[(N/n)💖: Really? Sure!
Me: Okay, let me get ready.]

Running my hands through the curly mop of hair as I stood and started gathering an outfit. Okay, genius. I've asked her, will we watch it in the commons? Her room? After putting on clothes, I paced the brightly lit room, muttering to myself. "What would we even watch? Anime? I know she likes scary stuff…" Recalling her behavior during Halloween had me stifling a smile.
"Shoto!! Shoto!!" The door opened abruptly, causing me to jolt, (Y/n) and Hatsume jumped into the room, grabbing my arms and hauling me from Midoriya's room.
"What's going on?" I asked, heart racing.
"I got it!! I know how to get you back! Uraraka is getting Midoriya now, we're meeting in the training room!!" With each word Hatsume spoke, my anticipation rose, the elevator coming to a halt, and the girls pulling me out. The newfound energy had me lunging forward, now pulling them. Footfall followed us, but I didn't care, I just wanted back in my own body.
Once in the room, I took a breather, glancing at Aizawa as he stood by the carpet, waiting for us.
"She claims to have fixed your problem, so I told her we could test it tonight." He explained, hand landing on the pinkette's head.
"I was lucky enough to catch him!" She giggled. "Okay, okay! So, what you guys need to do is simple. You both get on the carpet and drag your feet or whatever. Roll around on it, I don't care. But then you guys need to touch each other! A simple fistbump works." She rattled it off fast, and I glanced at Midoriya as he was quick to get on the carpet, me following suit.
Just do it, come on, coward! You know you want to-
"Midoriya!!"

1717 words!!!