Ch.18 Explosive

(Y/n)'s POV

I was finally back in school after two days of rest, Recovery Girl's quirk healing me the rest of the way. I looked at the scars littering my body as I changed into my hero outfit, her words echoing in my mind. "So, even though I healed you, unfortunately you're going to have some scars, due to the time in the hospital without my quirk. You'll be just fine though, dear." Sighing, I smiled, recompiling myself while pulling the outfit over my arms.
"You ready for me to zip you up?" I turned around to see Ochako grinning at me with a wink.
"If you wouldn't mind…" I mumbled, turning once more for her to do that. She rubbed my back after zipping me up, looking at me as she made her way beside me.
"Are you feeling better?" I shook my head.
"Physically, I feel brand-new! Emotionally, I feel…. Empty…" I sighed and she clapped my back gently.
"Don't listen to Todoroki, you should follow your dreams! And if being a hero is that, then we'll do it together!!" She led me out the door and I gave her my best smile.
"Yeah! We'll make amazing heros in the future!" My ability to shift my voice to meet her energy didn't surprise me with the fact I was used to masking. "Let's go out there and train till we drop." I winked, watching her rush forward. I walked to my designated training area, staring at the dummy All Might sat out for me. I didn't make any motion to attack it, frowning deeply. It wouldn't be as good for my training as my own bot is.
"(L/n), do you have any problems?" At Aizawa's curt question, I whipped towards him nodding.
"Well, I have a training bot… I could always call Hatsume to bring it here."
"Not necessary." He barely cut me off. "This is for endurance. So you don't need something that fights back. For separation you might, but endurance and complexity you shouldn't." I nodded solemnly, looking down. "You okay, kid?" He knelt down some and I pursed my lips.
"You don't have to try extra hard or something, I already said I don't blame you." I retorted.
"Well, I'm not asking cause I feel I need to make up something, but rather cause you had a traumatic near death experience, you shit head." I could see his soft smile through his scarf and smiled back at him.
"It's not that that's bothering me, sir. Shoto said that maybe I shouldn't be a hero… Maybe he's right…" His hand fell on my head as he stood up straight.
"Don't listen to some kid who doesn't know you better than yourself, okay, (L/n)? You have potential, and you choose your fate." He slunk away, and I sighed, shaking my head. Let's do this.
"He said no swords, no shield." Muttering, I put my hand over my mouth, thinking about what I could use. Lighting up, I changed my arm into a whip, the blinding light took a moment while I envisioned it and its binding structure. Humming in approval of its length and leathery texture, I gave a couple experimental lashes at the dummy. I hadn't been aware of the skill it took to master a whip, it backlashing at me each time I tried. "Fuck…." I muttered as I had been hit again, the whip losing its shape as my mind wandered to just how the fuck I'm supposed to wave it around.
"Good for you." Blinking, I looked at Tsu as she smiled at me. "You're standing your ground, and not letting the soulmate link get in the way of your training- ribbit-" I paled instantly, nodding.
"Yeah, of course, thanks…" Fuck, he's probably fuming- I stiffly kept my back firmly to the side of the gym he was, and formed my hand back into a whip. Attempting again, I flinched when it whipped my arm.
"Enough-" Freezing, I turned my head to see Bakugo walking over.
"Leave her alone, Baku, she's just trying." He shoved Kirishima off him, leering over me.
"Just swinging it around is gonna get you and us injured!" His front pressed into my back as he grabbed the handle of the whip. Where my hand would have been. "Look. To start, bring it back like this, then swing down, all the way, and after bringing it back up in the air… flick." As he instructed, he made the motions. My face heated and my brain couldn't function, thankfully the whip hadn't vanished. "Now try." He stepped back and I gulped, nodding.
"Uhhh.. okay.. so…." Taking in a deep breath, I moved my arm back, and followed through the motions he showed me, but not quite getting it.
"Keep practicing that alone. And then watch some videos on how to use whips before you fucking use it again." Nodding, I stood straight.
"Yes, sir!" He walked away, and I relaxed, slumping backwards. Well… that was fun- I thought sarcastically. Trying a couple more times. I noticed my whipping improved immediately, as well as the timing of holding the whip. I went from about 3 minutes to 5! I was aware the couple minute difference came from not being smacked by the whip, but the idea was enlightening. A genuine smile filled my face as my hand shifted back, me moving my fingers, feeling them crack from lack of movement. Aizawa is right, if I want to be a hero, it's my choice, not his, or Shoto's. Mine. Turning to my classmates as they trained, my shoulders fell. I just wish he was supportive… I turned back and kept practicing, knowing full well the stubborn boy would never see how what he said was wrong.