Chapter 7| Don't Leave Me

Laura

He's sitting right next to me, enjoying the gorgeous nighttime view of New York. There was a long silence between us, yet it was enjoyable.

"I must say, you did an incredible job designing this rooftop." I finally broke the silence.

He turned to face me and remarked, "I knew I needed a place to help me feel better, so I chose this rooftop as my comfort place." He shifted his gaze to New York's tall buildings before adding, "Also, I like the view of this city from the top, so I chose the right place for the best view." I nodded in agreement, trying to decide what to say next.

"By the way, why did you choose this building?" He asked. When he said these words, I wanted to jump off the building.

"No reason, just because it's extremely secure." I replied calmly. He was now staring at me. Did he figure out I was lying? His lips started to move; he was ready to say something, but he was hesitant.

"You already have bodyguards; why do you need more security?" He asked, hesitantly. I sighed as I remembered my old memories.

"Bodyguards are never enough; remember that." I remarked. "The streets are more dangerous than they seem, especially for women." I felt a burning sensation in my chest after saying these words.

"You're right." He sighed. "Well, I guess I completely misunderstood you." He added. His words are confusing these days.

"What do you mean?" I asked as he turned to face me. "I thought you were like someone I knew." He stopped before adding, "But you're different." My eyes widened as he spoke these words.

"What makes me so special?" I asked, a chuckle escaping my lips. "You wouldn't use me for your selfish reasons." He responded. I took deep breaths to stay quiet as my heartbeat began to race and my legs and knees felt weak. Is this what they call it-guilt?

"You can't put your trust in anyone." I said as I lowered my eyes. I can't look at him any longer. "I know, but for some reason I have to trust you." He confessed.

If he had said these words while we were having another conversation, I would have felt pleased that I was on the verge of defeating her, but we're in a different situation now. I'm still confused as to how she stole Jack from me with no guilt or shame.

I unexpectedly stood up and then said, "We're not good for each other." He followed me and questioned, "Why?" When I didn't answer, he sighed and said, "Stop running in circles and just tell me why you don't like me."

"Because..." I took a deep breath before adding, "You don't deserve someone like me."

He was going to say something when I interrupted him: "Look, I'm a liar, a jealous woman, and I have a broken heart. I also messed up in every relationship I was in, and I'm still haunted by them all. And, most importantly," I sighed, "I'm not like her."

"Who's her?" He questioned, confused. I whispered, "Jane." Once again, I cut him off by saying, "Look, you're probably wondering why I've never been given the main character's role in my entire career."

"Well, first, because all the actors never wanted to be close to me, especially in romantic scenes, and most importantly, because I'm not pretty enough to be a protagonist or kiss an actor," I explained.

"Are you that upset about not kissing a man?" He asked. "Well, sort of." I chuckled nervously. His next words left me speechless. "If you really want it, it's okay; I'll allow you to kiss me." He smirked.

"Don't you have a girlfriend?" I stated it mockingly. "No." He immediately responded. "A handsome man like you doesn't have a girlfriend? That's unbelievable." I remarked.

I was ready to say something else when he covered my mouth with his hands and said, "It's an honor to hear that I'm handsome from you, but we'll discuss this later, shall we?"

He sighed then added, "Now let me make one thing clear. First of all, Jane is nothing compared to you, okay? Second, you are not alone. You have me, or rather, we have each other. I was lonely, too, but now that you're here, you've healed my lonely heart. Finally, I hate to say this, but..." He started looking around.

I can tell he's nervous since his trembling hands are covering my mouth. Finally, he added, "I've known you were breathtaking ever since I saw you, so stop calling yourself ugly, okay?"

He finally removed his hands from my mouth. "Finally, some silence." He sighed then looked away. I really hope he doesn't look at me because I'm a mess. I'm screwed; he saw it. "Stop blushing or I'll start having weird thoughts." He groaned.

"Ryker!" I called as he walked away. Once he turned to face me, I murmured, "Thank you so much. Your words were...Uhm..." I hesitated before adding, "Helpful?" Why am I tripping over my words?

He chuckled, and I like seeing him happy. "No need to thank me. I'm always here for you, so please stop pushing me away." He smiled. I replied with a nod.

He started walking away, then suddenly stopped and remarked, "Also, you can keep that hoodie since it will remind you of me." He sent me a wink before leaving me alone on this empty rooftop. I guess now I know what it's like to be lonely since he's no longer by my side.

____________________

A/N: Thank you so much for reading this chapter. I hope you enjoyed it.

What songs do you think are suitable for this chapter?

Please leave your thoughts in the comments.

Don't forget to vote.