Chapter 28| Giving In

Laura:

Warning: This chapter contains kissing and passionate scenes.

***

Work has been stressing me out lately. But all my worries wash away as soon as I remember that I'm finally doing what I've always wanted to do.

I've always aspired to be independent. I've always wanted to live a luxurious life with my own money, not my parents', where I could buy whatever I wanted and travel wherever I wanted without worrying about money. 

But I must admit that as a teenager, I chose the wrong path to make money. I imagined that becoming an actress would help me earn more money than any other job.

I mean, I was correct, but I was naive enough not to be concerned by fame. I thought being under the spotlight and the focus of cameras was awesome, but it actually made me feel worse. It was a mistake I would never make again. 

The silence surrounding me allowed me to think deeply about my past. My office has been quiet, and it's all because I had a serious conversation with Kyle a few weeks ago. It was about the discomfort he was causing Emma, which he unexpectedly understood and stopped following her around. 

I'm delighted for her, but I'm concerned for Kyle. He always smiles, but I know he's hurting inside. I can only wish those two the best. 

I looked at the time and realized it was time for me to leave. I sighed as I remembered I had to move my belongings back to my old apartment. 

As I walked toward my car, I heard a familiar voice ask, "How was work today?" It was Ryker. He was leaning against the door of his car, hands folded. It was a scene I'll never forget. 

I smiled at Ryker and replied, "It was fine, just a little tiring." 

He then approached me and drew me into a hug, whispering close to my ear, "You're doing great. I'm really proud of you." He pulled the hug away from me, grabbed my shoulders, and kissed my forehead. 

I smiled at him and hugged him again, saying, "Thank you for always being by my side." I then backed away and stared at him for a few moments, until our looks became heated. "I love you, Ryker." I grinned. 

His eyes widened, and I hid my face in his chest, mortified by what I had just spoken and feeling his heart race.

He held my shoulders again and stared at me intently while he breathed heavily, then smirked and said, "Say that again, Laura." 

I looked away, then back at him, then gulped hard and whispered, "I love you, Ryker."  

Ryker's lips twisted into a smirk. He then pushed me against his car door, saying, "You can't run away now after what you just said to me." 

He then approached my lips cautiously, giving me enough time to pull away if I so desired. But I didn't want to. At that moment, I wanted him more than anything else in the world. But I was terrified of doing anything here. 

My entire body began to tremble all of a sudden. I'm nervous and unsure of what I'm supposed to do. He saw my sudden shift in demeanor and came to a halt. He was now just staring at me. I took a deep breath and tried to relax myself. I knew I had to do something, but my fear was holding me back. I gathered the courage to say, "I'm sorry, I'm just a little nervous." 

He drew me into a tight embrace. "It's okay. It's my fault for not getting your permission. I smiled at his reassuring remarks. As we stood there, wrapped in each other's arms, I felt my fear slowly fading. It was replaced by a sense of warmth and safety that I had only felt with him. I closed my eyes and inhaled his scent, grateful for this warm hug.