Chapter 16| Testing My Patience

Ryker

The dance is over, and the celebration will be over shortly. To be honest, I don't want it to end just so I can keep watching her stand next to the buffet and eat with her mouth full. I couldn't take my eyes off her.

Mr. Carter stood in the middle of the room and demanded everyone's attention. Everyone else followed him except for us-myself and her-which allowed me to get a clear view of her. I should be grateful for Mr. Carter.

"I'm aware you're all exhausted from all the dancing and eating you've done tonight." He paused, then added, "But the fun hasn't started yet." He grinned.

Everyone started looking at each other, even her family, who seemed to know nothing like her, and it was clear from the way they exchanged confused glances that they had no idea what the man was talking about.

Mr. Carter cleared his throat. "I think it's time for me to retire..." He stopped to build suspense. Everyone's eyes widened as they waited for an explanation. "And in order to do so, I'll need someone to look after everything in my place while I'm gone."

The air became heavy with whispers as each of them saw themselves as the chosen one. Everyone is excited, but they are also afraid of the announcement that is about to be made.

He cleared his throat once again as everyone began to fidget. When Mr. Carter opened his mouth again, all ears were on him. "And now, I proudly announce my dear daughter Laura Carter as my next heiress and CEO of my company." Mr. Carter declared, pointing his hand at her with a proud smile on his lips.

Everyone started looking at her. They all glanced at her with wide eyes and raised brows. Their faces were filled with disbelief.

I turned to face her, but she had already left the room. I couldn't help but follow her, but I ended up overhearing a very private conversation. I tried to hide so I wouldn't get caught, but I still had a clear view of everything.

Her father was standing in front of her. He must have followed her, because he was there. "Father, why did you do this to me?" Her eyes were filled with rage as she asked.

"What do you mean? I only introduced you as the future CEO. Nothing more, my dear." Mr. Carter replied as he placed his hand on one of her shoulders, smiling.

"I told you beforehand that I don't want to take over your company because I want to start my own." She explained. Mr. Carter stayed quiet for a long time, most likely seeking the right words, before finally stating, "I understand."

Their gazes eventually met, and he smiled at her, as if to tell her that he respected her decision and was proud of her for following her dreams. "You can still start one with the money gathered from this one." He remarked. She sighingly covered her forehead with her palm as she turned around, no longer looking her father in the eyes.

"You don't understand, Father. I'd like to begin with money earned through my own hard work." She said this before walking away, her eyes welling up with tears, leaving her father alone.

I was out of breath when I finally found her, and I was relieved to have found her after searching for what felt like hours. She was sitting by herself outside. I approached her quietly, not wanting to startle her, and then sat beside her. She wasn't moving. She was expressionless as she watched the cars pass by on the street. She was probably lost in thought.