Chapter 18| Goodbye, My First True Love

Ryker

I saw the headlines. I didn't get angry over it. It didn't surprise me, though. I smirked as I scrolled down all the pictures of us together and read the comments that described our relationship.

I was actually delighted to read all of the comments that described us as a perfect match, because I had been thinking that all along. There were clearly some hateful comments, but I'll deal with them later. They couldn't take away the joy I felt when reading the other positive comments.

I made sure that I left work early so that I could return home early. I really want to see her reaction.

As I drove into the parking lot, I noticed her arguing with a man and knew something was wrong. Who in the world is he? How dare he yell at her? I hurried out of my car, an angry expression on my face, and made my way to them.

Once I approached her, I noticed her laugh loudly. "Why would I even think about you when that man over there is more handsome than you are?" She smiled smugly at me as I stood next to her.

I couldn't help but smirk when I heard her words. "Who is this man again?" I asked, uninterestedly, as I pointed to him.

"There's no need to bother yourself with him. He's leaving anyway, right?" She stated with a smug grin on her face.

He glanced between us with wide eyes and then walked away without saying anything. That's when she let out a huge sigh of relief.

I whistled flirtatiously before asking, "Is that your way of persuading me to act as your boyfriend?" I smirked as I waited for her response.

She stayed quiet the whole time. She simply turned around and started moving around the parking lot, clearly nervous. As I followed her, my heart began to race, and I became nervous myself.

"Are you okay?" I asked, concerned. She turned to face me, her eyes wide with anxiety.

"Wait. Did he say anything hurtful to you?" I asked, my fist clenched. He obviously said something to her that made her feel this way, and I wasn't going to tolerate it.

"Just tell me his name, and I'll deal..." I couldn't finish my sentence.

She abruptly turned around and shouted, "Ryker!" Her voice was shaking. There is definitely something wrong with her.

She took a long breath before stating, "I'm not going to apologize because "sorry" won't be enough to make up for everything I've done to you. But I want you to know that I regret every single mistake I made." My response was a confused look and long moments of silence. I have no idea what's going on.

She inhaled again, this time deeper, and exhaled a long, slow breath. "I know you're confused and don't understand what I mean, so I'll explain everything to you now." My heart began to race. I'm probably more nervous than she is.

"I was only using you. All this time. The moment I set foot in this residence; I knew I wanted to get close to you. I knew I had to use you the moment you saw my face." She began.

"I only came here to get close to you and use you for my selfish purposes. Yet when I looked into your eyes, I was met with a tenderness and warmth I'd never felt from a man before."