Chapter 13| Not You Again

Laura

Isn't it fun to play with kids? But right now, I'm playing with my cousin's kids, and what's worse is that they're either my age or younger than me, and yet they're all happily married with children.

I'm back at my parents' place since they're throwing a party tonight. They are celebrating their 28th marriage anniversary.

I'm back home alone—no date, no boyfriend, nothing. Nothing changed in me, but everything changed around here.

The moment I stepped foot in this house, my entire family began asking me why I was alone this year after bringing Damien with me the last few years. They loved him a lot, but they had no idea what he was capable of. Well, I didn't know either.

My parents never fail to impress everyone with their gorgeous party decorations. It's always simple yet luxurious.

When it comes to their marriage anniversary, my father takes great care and only selects the best. That's how much my father loves my mother.

As usual, I took my time choosing my outfit and makeup, but it was all to waste when my mother chose for me since she knew I wouldn't wear a dress. She mentioned that my dress would be a surprise.

I was walking back into my room after finishing my makeup when I spotted a box on my bed. I went straight to my bed and slowly opened the package, hoping that my mother hadn't chosen a dress that I would regret wearing for the rest of my life.

I had high hopes when I first saw the dress; however, they quickly faded when I picked it up and discovered how revealing it is. It was a white satin dress with a slit that exposed most of the back. Seriously, Mom? Is she asking me to be a bridesmaid or something?

I needed to find something else, so I opened my closet and found nothing. It was completely empty. She knew I wouldn't want to wear it, and if I don't, she'll kill me. I have no choice but to wear it.

I entered with a blank expression on my face. Everyone in the room was staring at me. I need to find my mother right now. She was nowhere to be found. I looked around, and no one was greeting the arriving guests. Now I have another problem to deal with.

I stood near the entrance, smiling as I welcomed the guests and searched for my mother. I really need to change this; it's super uncomfortable, and I'm tired of smiling and greeting everyone that goes in; I think I'm turning into a robot already.

When another visitor entered, I greeted him with the same smile and words, then turned around and looked for my mother. I finally found her. As I took my first step forward, I heard footsteps at the entrance. I'll just greet this one and then leave.

"Looking as hot as ever, Miss Carter." I didn't recognize this voice right away, so I slowly turned around and, like a robot, said thank you with a smile, but once I turned around to face the guest, I froze on my feet and stared at him with wide eyes.

"Now that I look at you, you're breathtaking." He leaned in closer, whispering the last word.

"Oh god, not you again." I shook my head in disbelief and walked away, straight to my parents. They were talking with my aunt, but I could easily convince her to leave us alone.

"Hello, Mom and Dad. I looked everywhere for you. I really need you right now; it's a serious matter." I gave my aunt a forced smile. I'm sorry, Aunty, if I'm being rude, but I have to talk to them right away. She walked away, waving at my mother and saying she'd return later to finish their conversation.