Chapter 23| Running in Circles

Laura

"What are you listening to?" Kyle asked as he sat by my side, and I could smell his scent thanks to the cool breeze that was blowing.

"Friends by Chase Atlantic." We both said it at the same time. I turned to face him, my eyes wide. We burst out laughing once our eyes met.

"If you knew what song I was listening to, why did you ask?" He looked away, but I didn't stop staring at him.

"No reason. I just want to hear you speak because you've been sitting on the rooftop for a long time without saying anything and staring at the buildings." He explained.

After I returned to New York, all I could do was go to the rooftop and watch the buildings while listening to the same sad playlist.

I had to return here for business, and I made sure to avoid the paparazzi and fans' eyes. It's exhausting, but I have to learn to cope with it in order to live a quiet life.

"Do you miss him?" He broke the silence. I paused the song and gave him a fake smile, trying to hide my true feelings.

"I'd be lying if I said I didn't." I sighed. Every day is a nightmare for me because I'm constantly hiding, not just from cameras but also from him.

I'm not sure what to say to him when we meet. You can't just walk up to someone with whom you broke his heart two years ago and say, "Hey, how are you? I’m sorry for hurting you."

The word "sorry" is used for small mistakes that should never happen again, not for shattering someone's heart and walking away.

He interrupted my thoughts once again. "Let’s listen together." He sighed. I nodded and handed him an airpod.

I replayed the music so I could enjoy it with him again. He smiled and put the airpod in his ear. We were both lost in our own little worlds while listening to music.

"Thanks. I really love the intro." He smiled and began to hum the intro. I enjoyed hearing him do that.

"Oh, I love this part: Just give me some time and space to realize that you were busy lying, sleeping 'round with other guys. And what the hell were we? Tell me we weren't just friends; this doesn't make much sense, no. But I'm not hurt; I'm tense. 'Cause I'll be fine without you, babe." He began singing, and I found myself singing along with him.

The melody was so catchy and the lyrics were so relatable that it felt like the perfect breakup anthem. We sang our hearts out until the last note faded away.

Once the song ended, he handed me the airpod and said, "Thank you for allowing me to listen with you. This song is nostalgic. It reminds me of when I used to listen to it after a break-up." He looked down, and I noticed how sad he was when he remembered all those past memories.

He told me that he witnessed his last girlfriend cheat on him right in front of his eyes. That destroyed his heart.

That's when he discovered what it's like to be betrayed. He also told me that she left him with that guy simply because he was wealthier.

I patted his back as I remembered how much he cried while telling me about his failed relationships. "Don't worry. I have a feeling you'll meet your one soon." I grinned excitedly.