Chapter 14| Dinner with the Family

Laura

"Ryker, how have you been?" My mom asked. I started looking around, trying not to focus on him or how handsome he looked in that suit. They kept talking as I tried not to pay attention.

"Would you like to have dinner with us?" My father offered unexpectedly. My eyes widened as my father spoke.

My dad has lost his mind. First, let me tell you about our dinner. For the other guests, there is a buffet where they can get whatever they need.

The dinner my father was referring to is a family-only gathering where everyone enjoys a huge meal together while talking and laughing.

This dinner is always followed by a dance. We might also share private family matters at the dinner. So, this man cannot join us for dinner.

"Of course, I would." I could feel his eyes piercing a hole in my head as he replied. I turned to face them, and they were all smiling and pleased, while I was growing increasingly worried.

We entered the huge dining room. The entire family was already seated. We were the only ones left. When we walked, everyone stood up and began applauding for my father and mother.

My cousin approached me, and I didn't notice him until he was close. "This year, I'm going to sit on the right," he declared.

"We'll see," I smirked as I approached him. I walked away while flipping my hair.

How to die after your father's words. I need an answer right now. I was now seated on my father's right, which is a good thing, right? Since I beat my cousin. My happiness, however, faded when Ryker sat beside me. It's all because of my father.

I'm doing my best to eat slowly and avoid making eye contact with any of the family members because they'll embarrass me with one of their old stories if I do. Yet, my attempts to keep them from embarrassing me failed miserably.

"I still can't believe that even though you two are deeply in love, you only had one child." When my mother's sister stated that, I almost choked on my food. 

The words escaped my tongue before I could feel them. "Wait, am I not enough?" I asked jokingly. They all burst into laughter while waiting for the answer.

"We made that decision. And, since she's already causing us problems, how can we add another?" My father replied, pointing at me.

"Seriously, dad?" Again, laughter spread all across the entire room.

After everyone had done laughing, my cousin decided to take revenge on me for sitting in the right side by stating, "Yes, I can assure you she's annoying and a troublemaker. You should ask me because I had to deal with her when we were kids." While everyone laughed, he began to pretend to cry. I simply rolled my eyes and sighed in boredom.

"Here they go again," one of my uncles remarked. I made sure I was properly seated before smirking and saying, "Don't you remember those hideous blue glasses you used to wear? You thought they were so stylish. Or do you not remember the time you spilled hot coffee on yourself and ran around screaming? Should I remind you..." These embarrassing incidents made him feel uncomfortable, and I enjoyed seeing his expression change.

He decided to cut me off by stating, "You said enough, Laura."

"K.O." I added with a smirk, and everyone, including him, began cheering.

"Remember, I'll win next time." He made a threat while pointing at me. He never wins.

"We'll see." I grinned in response and shrugged my shoulders, letting him know that his threat didn't bother me in the slightest.

The dinner was not as bad as I had expected. My parents were too preoccupied with family topics to even tease me. I was also too busy with my irritating cousin, Evan, to pay attention to dinner.

That peaceful dinner didn't last long since my father took Ryker and all the males in our family to a private room, leaving us females alone.

They couldn't care less about the males leaving because they're already having fun talking freely about anything, while I'm worried about what my father will say. 

____________________

A/N: Thank you so much for reading this chapter. I hope you enjoyed reading it.

Please leave your thoughts in the comments section.

Don't forget to vote.