Chapter 30| Unexpected Events

Kyle:

What words can I use to describe Damien? There is no way to do so because, even as his only friend, I never understood him. 

He always had a dark expression on his face, the kind that could send shivers down your spine just by looking at it for a few seconds longer. Merciless, grumpy, cold-hearted, and obviously a murderer—these are the only words that come to mind when I hear his name. 

He had a difficult past that was never revealed to me. It was clear from his eyes that he was in pain, and I always knew exactly what made him feel this way, or rather, who made him feel this way. It was a woman named Laura. 

Even a heartless man like him fell in love with her. Whenever he returned from meeting her, his eyes were never the hurt ones he had before seeing her. 

Laura had a way of making him forget about the darkness that surrounded him. She was his guiding light in the middle of chaos. He knew he would do everything for her, even if it meant risking his own life. 

She was the missing piece in his life that he had been looking for all along. And now that he'd found her, he was determined not to let her go.

He vowed to love and protect her for as long as he lived because she was the one who made him feel truly alive, and that included protecting her from the one she loves the most. 

Damien loves Laura enough that he would never let her be with someone else, even if it meant getting rid of him. I've always wondered why he's so obsessed with a woman. Who is she? What's so special about her? Is she aware of his tragic, untold past? 

That woman is now my partner, my friend, and the only person who has stayed by my side through thick and thin. We failed together, we succeeded together, and there is more that we will go through together soon. 

A friend like myself deserves an even warmer welcome. They said he was busy, but I've been waiting for him for hours. Sitting here helped me recall all of my memories and smile as I remembered that the unhappy ones had passed and were replaced with joyful ones. 

I remember the day Damien told me about Laura's business plan. He appeared both worried and excited. He was concerned that she would feel uncomfortable after knowing that he was the one who sent me, but he couldn't wait to see her finally living her dream. 

I miss the days when he was in love with her, but now that I know how Damien sees Laura, I would never approve of their relationship because it would have been toxic. 

I've had enough of waiting around like an unwanted guest; I guess he sees me that way. He usually comes racing to me when he hears I'm here, just to hear stories about Laura. I'm wondering if Laura is the only reason we're still friends. 

I pushed through his office door and was greeted with a disgusting sight. Jane was sitting on his desk, and he was standing between her legs.

I froze, unsure of what to do or say. My mind was racing with questions and confusion. How long has this been going on? 

He eventually noticed me and moved away from Jane as I slowly walked out of the room. I walked away as fast as I could, trying not to meet him or see that shameless expression of his. Jane's reason for dating Damien is simple: revenge. 

I slammed my car door open and rushed over to Laura. She was in her office, surrounded by stacks of paperwork. She appeared exhausted. 

"Laura!" I breathed heavily as I called her name. When she glanced up at me, I forgot all the things I wanted to say to her. 

"We have a problem, Laura." That's all I could say to her. 

"What's the matter, Kyle?" I froze on my legs when she asked. I couldn't say those words. I'm completely speechless. "Speak now, Kyle!" She stated it out loud. 

"Damien is dating Jane." I blurted it out in a hurry. She appeared unmoved, as if I had simply spoken something she already knew or expected to happen. 

"I knew Jane was up to something, but dating Damien of all people?" She let out a deep sigh. 

"But seriously, how did Damien accept dating her when it's clear he's still not over me, and I also know he would never date her after what she did to me?" She added. 

"They're planning something dangerous together." I declared. 

"I know. They're clearly not fooling around. But why did he choose her?" She pondered. 

"That's the problem. We know him; he'll never forgive someone who has once hurt you unless..." We exchanged wide eyes. We have found the final piece of the puzzle. "She offered something he had always wanted." I added. 

"Or someone." She smirked. Damien is not someone who gives his time to anyone who doesn't benefit him. It's obvious she made him an offer he couldn't refuse. 

"We need a plan." She stated. I nodded in agreement, knowing that we couldn't just sit and wait for him to take her. We sat down and discussed for hours, trying to come up with the perfect plan to make Damien and Jane's plan fail. 

It wouldn't be easy, but we were determined to see it through. We decided to gather as much information as possible before making any decisions, so we spent the following few days looking through files and learning what they were up to in the meantime. Finally, we had everything we needed. 

The unexpected happened in the past few days. We were certain he wanted Laura, but we never considered the possibility of him taking someone else, and that someone is Ryker. 

Laura had been searching for him all night, and once she found him, she didn't waste any time in going to get him. 

"Why didn't you stop her?" Emma asked out of the blue. 

"How can I stop a woman madly in love from saving her boyfriend?" I replied. I tried, but she was angry and didn't care what I said. She simply wanted to bring him back and see him again. 

"There's only one way to ensure her safety." I said. "We should carry out our plan." I added, and she nodded in agreement. 

It's finally time for Laura to confront Jane. It will have both positive and negative consequences. Good because Laura will finally feel at ease and will never have to worry about Jane attacking her again, but bad since Ryker is involved and things will certainly not end the way we all want. 

_____________________

A/N: Thank you so much for reading this chapter. I hope you enjoyed reading it.

Please leave your thoughts in the comments section.

Don't forget to vote.