11.

I awake to see Lo'ak laying down beside me and staring. Hard. How long has he been doing this?

"Stop being a creep."

"Bro you know I overheard mother and father say something about you."

"I don't care Lo'ak."

"No listen. They have arranged the whole day for you to spend time with Lana. It's just you and her today. Look brother being in love with a girl is amazing like I feel awesome. Of course Tsireya is better than Lana but I accept her for you. Unless you have someone else in mind..."

"Shut up. This can't be happening. I wanted to meet Akala today."

"Then go meet him now and come back and be the perfect obedient son you are."

I sigh and get out of bed. I have to tell Akala about (Y/n) and this Lana business. I have seen how Lana is throughout my time here since she hangs out with Tsireya and us a lot but I have never had an interest in her.

I head in the water and call my ilu and we both make our way out into the ocean.

...

Akala sees me approaching and flips around many times while he smiles so bright. He is so cheerful I love that about him.

Hi Akala!

Hello Neteyam!

How is everything. Did you find a mate yet?

No not yet but many of my kind are here so maybe I will find her soon. What about you and the girl you met?

Her name is (Y/n) and she is my everything. I would give up anything to be with her. She is very closed off tho and i'm not sure if she feels the same.

Maybe she has a secret that could hurt you so she stays away.

I never thought of it in that way. There is another girl, Lana, who my parents want me to be with.

Do you love her?

No but I am forced to be with her all of today.

Your true feelings Neteyam, depending on how strong they are, will come to the surface and you will have to make decisions. Be wise and follow your heart my friend.

...

I'm heading back now and rethinking what Akala has said. "Follow your heart" even if it means to let down the ones I live for? For once I want to be with the one I love, do this for myself but I must win her over. She is not easily won like any other girl I have seen. She is an intriguing challenge.

I make my way towards the pod on this sunny morning and enter to see my parents greeting Lana and her parents, as well as Tsahik Ronal. My mother notices my arrival and speaks first.

"Neteyam you are here! Lana has come to see you with her parents."

"Yes. Hello." I nod my head in their direction and see Lo'ak standing outside making faces at me. He finds my misery amusing, what a great brother.

"Neteyam, why don't you and Lana go check on Tsireya and go for a swim?"

"Yes mother." I nod at Lana and make my way out of the pod and she follows behind. Once we make it outside we begin to walk beside one another and head down to the beach.

"So Neteyam, how are you doing?"

"I am good."

"What do you think of those newcomers. They are so weird."