Chapter 2

Race crews milled about outside the Main Hanger

Race crews milled about outside the Main Hanger. The hanger was a large building with a dozen or so Podracers being readied for the race. Alien crews and pilots rushed about, making last minute fixes on their vehicles.

Anakin and Padmé entered the hanger on one of the Eopies, pulling an engine. Mary and Shmi, on the other Eopie. With C-3PO walking alongside, R2-D2 trundled behind, pulling the Pod. Watto flew off, laughing. He passed Anakin as he left.

Qui-Gon walked over to where Shmi was seated on the Eopie and helped her down.

"This is so wizard Ani! I'm sure you'll do it this time." said Mary to her brother.

"Do what?"  Padmé asked.

"Finish the race, of course!" replied Mary.

"You've never won a race?" she said to Anakin.

"Well... not exactly..."

"Not even finished?!"

Anakin looked sheepish.

"... Mary's right, I will this time."

"Of course, you will." said Qui-Gon.

Qui-Gon and Padmé looked at each other. Padmé was concerned.

"You all set, Ani?" asked Qui-Gon.

"Yep."

"All right."

Qui-Gon picked him up and sat him down in the racer.

"Remember, concentrate on the moment. Feel. Don't think. Use your instincts."

"I will."

"May the Force be with you." said the Jedi to Anakin.

Qui-Gon stepped away as Anakin put on his helmet and goggled.

All the pilots bowed from the waist as Jabba The Hutt entered the box and waved to the crowd.

The crowd roared. Jabba moved out of his box to greet the crowd. One other Slug-Like Hutt followed, along with humans and aliens. A slave girl on a chain was led alongside Jabba.

"Chowbaso! Tam ka chee Boonta rulee ya, kee madda hodrudda du wundee." (Welcome! Begin the race!)

The powerful energy binders of the various pods ignited and engines roared.

Shmi looked nervously to Qui-Gon as he entered a veiwing platform. Padmé and Jar Jar were already on board. The platform rose like an elevator.

"Is he nervous?" asked Shmi.

"He's fine." he reassured the mother.

"You Jedi are far too reckless. The Queen is not..." said Padmé.

"The Queen trusts my judgment, young handmaiden. You should too."

"You assume too much." replied Padmé.