Chapter 15

Padmé was with Mary in her apartment, thinking of Anakin

Padmé was with Mary in her apartment, thinking of Anakin. Anakin sat alone in the Jedi Council Chamber thinking of Padmé.
"Padmé, are you... are you all right?" asked Mary.
"Yeah, don't worry."
Mary did not believe her answer but turned a blind eye. Suddenly she had a horrible feeling.
Anakin rushed out of the Council Chamber and to his speeder. The hangar door opened and he lifted off.

The sky was still blue as a Jedi Gunship landed on the Senate Office Building landing platform. Four Jedi exited the shuttle and entered the Senate Office Building. Mace Windu, Agen Kolar, Kit Fisto, and Saesee Tiin, like gunfighters out of the Old West, walked through the massive hallway.
The four Jedi entered the lobby, raising their arms, and sent the Chancellor's aide, Dar Wac, flying against the wall, along with two Republic guards. They stormed into the Chancellor's office. Mace arrived with three Jedi to arrest Palpatine.

"Master Windu. I take it General Grievous has been destroyed then. I must say, you're here sooner than expected."
"In the name of the Galactic Senate of the Republic, you are under arrest, Chancellor."
Mace Windu and the other Jedi ignited their lightsabers.
"Are you threatening me, Master Jedi?"
"The Senate will decide your fate."
"I am the Senate!"
"Not yet!"
Palpatine stood, a laser sword appeared out of his cloak sleeve, and he spined toward the Jedi.
"It's treason, then."

A close shot of Palpatine as the fight began. Close shots of three Jedi getting cut down by Palpatine. Palpatine and Mace continued to fight.
Jedi Master Mace Windu and the Sith Lord fought their way down the hallway and into the main office area. Palpatine was able to use the Force to slam Mace against the wall, but he recovered before the Chancellor could cut him down.
Anakin landed his speeder, jumped out, and ran down a long corridor toward the Chancellor's office.
In the heat of battle, Mace cut the window behind the Chancellor's desk, and it crashed away. Mace was forced out onto the ledge, which was twenty stories up. They fought over the precipice. Anakin arrived to see Palpatine and Mace fighting.
They stopped as Mace forced Palpatine to drop his sword. Palpatine and Mace started yelling at each other.

"You are under arrest, My Lord."
"Anakin! I told you it would come to this. I was right. The Jedi are taking over."
"You old fool. The oppression of the Sith will never return. Your plot to regain control of the Republic is over... you have lost..."
"No! No! You will die!"
Palpatine raised his hands, and lightning bolts shot out. They were blocked by Mace's lightsaber. Palpatine was pushed back against the window sill.
"He is a traitor, Anakin."
"He's the traitor. Stop him!"
"Come to your senses, boy. The Jedi are in revolt. They will betray you, just as they betrayed me."
"Aarrrrggghhhhh..."
"You are not one of them, Anakin. Don't let him kill me."
"Aarrrrggghhhhh..."
"I am your pathway to power. I have the power to save the one you love. You must choose. You must stop him."
"Don't listen to him, Anakin."
"Help me! Don't let him kill me. I can't hold on any longer. Ahhhhhhh... ahhhhhhh... ahhhhhhh..."

Mace pushed Palpatine out to the edge of the ledge. As the Jedi moved closer, the bolts from Palpatine's hands began to arch back on him. The Chancellor's face began to twist and distorted. His eyes became yellow as he struggled to intensify his powers.
"I can't... I give up. Help me. I am weak... I am too weak. Don't kill me. I give up. I'm dying. I can't hold on any longer."
"You Sith disease. I am going to end this once and for all."
"You can't kill him, Master. He must stand trial."
"He has too much control of the Senate and the Courts. He is too dangerous to be kept alive."
"I'm too weak. Don't kill me. Please."
"It is not the Jedi way..."
Mace raised his sword to kill the Chancellor.
"He must live..."
"Please don't, please don't..."
"I need him..."
"Please don't..."
"NO!!!"