Chapter 24

Stormtroopers ran to their posts

Stormtroopers ran to their posts. A line of Stormtroopers marched toward the pirate ship in readiness to board it, while other troopers stood with weapons ready to fire.

"Close all outboard shields! Close all outboard shields!"

Tarkin pushed a button and responded to the intercom buzz.
"Yes."
"We've captured a freighter entering the remains of the Alderaan system. It's markings match those of a ship that blasted its way out of Mos Eisley."
"They must be trying to return the stolen plans to the princess. She may yet be of some use to us." Vader affirmed.

Vader and a commander approached the troops as an Officer and several heavily armed troops exited the spacecraft.

"Unlock one-five-seven and nine. Release charges."
"There's no one on board, sir. According to the log, the crew abandoned ship right after takeoff. It must be a decoy, sir. Several of the escape pods have been jettisoned."
"Did you find any droids?"
"No, sir. If there were any on board, they must also have jettisoned."
"Send a scanning crew on board. I want every part of this ship checked." Vader ordered.
"Yes, sir."
"I sense something... a presence I haven't felt since..."
Vader turned quickly and exited the hangar.

In her cell with Leia, Mary also felt a familiar presence.
"Obi-Wan..." she whispered.

"Get me a scanning crew in here on the double. I want every part of this ship checked!"

A trooper ran through the hallway heading for the exit. In a few moments all was quiet.
The muffled sounds of a distant officer giving orders finally faded. Two floor panels suddenly popped up revealing Han Solo and Luke.
Ben Kenobi sticked his head out of a third locker and felt a familiar presence.

"...Mary."

"Boy, it's lucky you had these compartments." Luke said.
"I use them for smuggling. I never thought I'd be smuggling myself in them. This is ridiculous. Even if I could take off, I'd never get past the tractor beam."
"Leave that to me!" Ben exclaimed.
"Damn fool. I knew that you were going to say that!" Han said.
"Who's the more foolish... the fool or the fool who follows him?"

Han shook his head, muttering to himself. Chewbacca agreed.
The crewmen carried a heavy box on board the ship, past the two Stormtroopers guarding either side of the ramp.

"The ship's all yours. If the scanners pick up anything, report it immediately. All right, let's go."

The crewmen entered the pirate ship and a loud crashing sound was followed by a voice calling to the guard below.

"Hey down there, could you give us a hand with this?" Han said.

The Stormtroopers entered the ship and a quick round of gunfire was heard.
In a very small command office near the entrance to the pirate ship, a Gantry Officer looked out his window and noticed the guards are missing. He spoke into the comlink.