Chapter 10

The twins and Padmé entered the stalagmite city

The twins and Padmé entered the stalagmite city. They stopped, looking around in wonder at the emptiness.

"It's empty!" said Padmé in a low tone.

They started forward. As they passed, the surface of the pillars seemed to pulse slowly and move. High above winged creatures grew from the pillars and detached themselves.

They crossed the square, reaching the middle. They stopped suddenly as four Geonosians grabbed them. The twins reached for their lightsabers.

"Wait!" shouted Padmé.

Twenty winged Geonosians carrying weapons alight on the flagstones in front of them. The Geonosians parted, and Count Dooku appeared. He bowed courteously.

"Senator Amidala, I've heard so much about you." Count Dooku said.

"Count Dooku, I assume." Padmé replied.

"I'm delighted to meet you at last. We have a great deal to discuss, Senator. I hope you can keep your young Jedi under control."

"Don't worry they're housebroken."

Count Dooku sat at a large conference table with Padmé on the far side. The twins stood behind her with four Geonosians standing behind them. Jango Fett stood behind Count Dooku, and six Geonosians guards stood behind him.

"You are holding a Jedi Knight, Obi-Wan Kenobi. I am formally requesting you turn him over to me, now." Padmé affirmed.

"He has been convicted of espionage, Senator, and will be executed. In just a few hours, I believe."

Count Dooku smiled.

"He is an officer of the Republic. You can't do that." Padmé replied.

"We don't recognise the Republic here, Senator. But if Naboo were to join our Alliance, I could easily hear your plea for clemency." Dooku stated.

Anakin grabbed his lightsaber but didn't turn it on.

"And if I don't join your rebellion, I assume these Jedi with me will also die?" asked Padmé.

"I don't wish to make you to join our cause against your will, Senator, but you are a rational, honest representative of your people and I assume you want to do what's in their best interest. Aren't you fed up with the corruption, the bureaucrats, the hypocrisy of it all? Aren't you? Be honest, Senator." Dooku said.

"The ideals are still alive, Count, even if the institution is failing."

"You believe in the same ideals we believe in! The same ideals we are striving to make prominent." Dooku replied.

"If what you say is true, you should stay in the Republic and help Chancellor Palpatine put things right." Padmé said.

"The Chancellor means well, M'Lady but he is incompetent. He has promised to cut the bureaucracy, but the bureaucrats are stronger than ever, no? Senator, the Republic cannot be fixed. It is time to start over. The democratic process in the Republic is a sham, a shell game played on the voters. It will not be long before the cult of greed, called the Republic, will lose even the pretext of democracy and freedom." Dooku affirmed.