Chapter 32

Jabba's huge sail barge moved above the desert surface accompanied by two smaller Skiffs

Jabba's huge sail barge moved above the desert surface accompanied by two smaller Skiffs. One of the skiffs glid close, revealing Luke, Mary, Han and Chewie, all in bonds, surrounded by guards, one of whom was Lando in disguise.

"I think my eyes are getting better. Instead of a big dark blur, I see a big light blur."
"There's nothing to see. I used to live here, you know." Luke said.
"Me before you." Mary added.
"You're gonna die here, you know. Convenient." Solo stated.
"Just stick close to Chewie and Lando. We've taken care of everything." Luke replied.
"Oh... great!" Han exclaimed.

The convoy moved up over a huge sand pit. The Sail Barge stopped to one side of the depression, as did the escort skiff. But the prisoners' skiff moved out directly over the center and hovered. At the bottom of the deep cone of sand was a repulsive, mucous-lined hole, surrounded by thousands of needle-sharp teeth. This was the Sarlacc. A plank was extended from the edge of the prisoners' skiff. Guards released Luke's bonds and shoved him out onto the plank above the Sarlacc's mouth.

"Victims of the almighty Sarlacc: His Excellency hopes that you will die honourably. But should any of you wish to beg for mercy, the great Jabba the Hutt will now listen to your pleas." 3PO said.
Han stepped forward arrogantly and began to speak, "3PO, you tell that slimy piece of... worm-ridden filth he'll get no such pleasure from us. Right?"
"Jabba! This is your last chance. Free us or die." Luke added.

Lando moved unobtrusively along the skiff as Luke shot a quick look of conspiracy to him.
The assembled monsters rocked with mocking laughter as R2 zipped unnoticed up the ramp to the upper deck.
Jabba's laughter subsided as he spoke into the comlink, "Move him into position."
Jabba made a thumbs-down gesture. Leia looked worried.

R2 appeared from below and zipped over to the rail facing the pit. Below, in the skiff, Luke was prodded by a guard to the edge of the plank over the gaping Sarlacc. Luke looked up at R2, then gave a jaunty salute: the signal the little droid had been waiting for. A flap opened in R2's domed head.

"Put him in." Jabba ordered.

Luke was prodded and jumped off the plank to the cheers of the bloodthirsty spectators.
But, before anyone could even perceive what was happening, he spun around and grabbed the end of the plank by his fingertips. The plank bended wildly from his weight and catapulted him skyward.
In midair he did a complete flip and dropped down on the end of the plank in the same spot he just vacated, but facing the skiff. He casually extended an open palm and his lightsaber, which R2 had sent arcing toward him, dropped into his hand.

Luke ignited it and attacked the guard and prodded him off the plank, sending the hapless monster screaming overboard. The other guards swarmed toward Luke. He waded into them, lightsaber flashing. Lando struggled with another guard at the back of the skiff.

A bewildered guard landed in the soft, sandy slope of the pit, and began sliding. He clawed desperately as a Sarlacc tentacle grabbed him and pulled him screaming into the viscous mouth.