Chapter 23

Chewbacca waited restlessly at the entrance to Docking Bay 94

Chewbacca waited restlessly at the entrance to Docking Bay 94. Ben, Luke, and the robots made their way up the street. Chewbacca jabbered excitedly and signalled for them to hurry. A darkly clad creature had followed them from the speeder lot. He stopped in a nearby doorway and spoke into a small transmitter.

Chewbacca leaded the group into a giant dirt pit that was Docking Bay 94. Resting in the middle of the huge hole was a large, round, beat-up, pieced-together hunk of junk that could only loosely be called a Star ship.

"What a piece of junk." Luke said.

The tall figure of Han Solo came down the boarding ramp.

"She'll make point five beyond the speed of light. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've added some special modifications myself."

Luke scratched his head. It was obvious he wasn't sure about all this. Chewbacca rushed up the ramp and urged the others to follow.

"We're a little rushed, so if you'll hurry aboard we'll get out of here."

The group rushed up the gang plank, passing a grinning Han Solo. Chewbacca settled into the pilot's chair and started the mighty engines of the Star ship.
Luke, Ben, 3PO, and R2 moved toward the Millennium Falcon passing Solo.

"Hello, sir." 3PO said.

The troops held their guns at the ready and charged down the docking bay entrance.
"Stop that ship!"

Han Solo looked up and saw the Imperial Stormtroopers rushing into the docking bay. Several of the troopers fired at Han as he ducked into the spaceship.

"Blast 'em!"

Han drew his laser pistol and popped off a couple of shots which force the Stormtroopers to dive for safety. The pirate ship engines whined as Han hit the release button that slammed the overhead entry shut.

"Chewie, get us out of here!"

The group strapped in for took off.

"Oh, my. I'd forgotten how much I hate space travel."

The half-dozen Stormtroopers at a check point heard the general alarm and looked to the sky as the huge Star ship rose above the dingy slum dwellings and quickly disappeared into the morning sky.
Han climbed into the pilot's chair next to Chewbacca, who chattered away as he pointed to something on the radar scope.
The Corellian pirate ship zoomed from Tatooine into space.
Han frantically typed information into the ship's computer. Little R2 appeared momentarily at the cockpit doorway, made a few beeping remarks, then scurried away.

"It looks like an Imperial cruiser. Our passengers must be hotter than I thought. Try and hold them off. Angle the deflector shield while I make the calculations for the jump to light speed."

The Millennium Falcon pirate ship raced away from the yellow planet, Tatooine.
It was followed by two huge Imperial Star Destroyers.
Over the shoulders of Chewbacca and Han, the galaxy spread before them. Luke and Ben made their way into the cramped cockpit where Han continued his calculation.