Chapter 31

A lonely, windswept road meandered through the desolate Tatooine terrain

A lonely, windswept road meandered through the desolate Tatooine terrain. There was a familiar beeping and a distinctive reply before catching sight of R2-D2 and C-3PO, making their way along the road toward the ominous palace of Jabba the Hutt.

"Of course, I'm worried. And you should be, too. Lando Calrissian and poor Chewbacca never returned from this awful place." 3PO replied.
R2 whistled timidly.
"Don't be so sure. If I told you half the things I've heard about this Jabba the Hutt, you'd probably short-circuit."

The two droids fearfully approached the massive gate to the palace.
"R2, are you sure this is the right place? I better knock, I suppose."
3PO looked around for some kind of signalling device, then timidly knocked on the iron door.
"There doesn't seem to be anyone there. Let's go back and tell Master Luke."

A small hatch in the middle of the door opened and a spidery mechanical arm, with a large electronic eyeball on the end, popped out and inspected the two droids.

"Tee chuta hhat yudd!"
"Goodness gracious me!"
3PO pointed to R2, then to himself.
"R2 Detoowha bo Seethreepiowha ey toota odd mischka Jabba du Hutt."

The eye looked from one robot to the other, there was a laugh then the eye zipped back into the door. The hatch slammed shut. R2 beeped his concern.

"I don't think they're going to let us in, R2. We'd better go."

R2 beeped his reluctance as 3PO turned to leave. Suddenly the massive door started to rise with a horrific metallic "screech". The robots turned back and faced an endless black cavity. The droids looked at one another, afraid to enter.
R2 started forward into the gloom. 3PO rushed after his stubby companion.
The door lowered noisily behind them.

"R2, wait. Oh, dear! R2. R2, I really don't think we should rush into all this."
R2 continued down the corridor, with 3PO following.
"Oh, R2! R2, wait for me!"

The door slammed shut with a loud crash that echoed throughout the dark passageway.
The frightened robots were met by two giant, green Gamorrean guards, who fell in behind them. 3PO glanced quickly back at the two lumbering brutes, then back to R2.
One guard grunted an order. R2 beeped nervously.

"Just you deliver Master Luke's message and get us out of here. Oh my! Oh! Oh, no."

Walking toward them out of the darkness was Bib Fortuna, a humanlike alien with long tentacles protruding from his skull.

"Die Wanna Wanga!" Bib said.
"Oh, my! Die Wanna Wauaga. We-we bring a message to your master, Jabba the Hutt."

R2 let out a series of quick beeps.

"...and a gift." thought a moment then turned to R2, "Gift, what gift?"
Bib shook his head negatively.
"Nee Jabba no badda. Me chaade su goodie."

Bib held out his hand toward R2 and the tiny droid backed up a bit, letting out a protesting array of squeaks. 3PO turned to the strange-looking alien.