Chapter 11

"Master Windu! You have fought gallantly

"Master Windu! You have fought gallantly. Worthy of recognition in the history archives of the Jedi Order. Now it is finished. Surrender - and your lives will be spared."

"We will not be hostages for you to barter with, Dooku."

"Then, I'm sorry, old friend. You will have to be destroyed."

The droids raised their weapons. Anakin and Padmé clasped hands tightly. Mary was near Obi-Wan. Count Dooku raised his hand to give the order to fire.
Padmé looked up and whispered to Anakin.

"Look!"

Above, six Gunships were descending fast through the open area in the arena ceiling. They landed in a cluster around the handful of Jedi. Clone troopers spilt out and started firing at the droids. There was a hellstorm of laserfire that bounced off the laser shields created by the Gunships. Yoda appeared at the door of one of the Gunships.

"Come on... hurry! Hurry!" shouted Yoda.

The surviving Jedi dashed to the Gunships and scrambled in. Mace Windu hanged on tight as the Gunship, firing all its weapons, rose out of the arena up and over the topmost rim.

The massed lines of parked Federation Star ships and the droids surrounding the arena, were themselves surrounded by thousands of Republic Star ships, disgorging tens of thousands of Clone troops. Beyond, more Republic Star ships were landing and spewing out troops.

Mace Windu stared at the incredible sight.

"More battalions to the left. Encircle them we must, then divide."

The Clone troopers opened fire with artillery. Explosions wrecked the parked Battle Star ships. Clone troopers advanced, firing at the massed droids. Fighter droids flew overhead, exchanging fire with the Gunships and Jedi fighters.

3-PO and R2 saw flashes outside of the ship, exploding everywhere.

"I'm sure I heard something, this time. Didn't you? It's probably just a celebration."

Gunship #2 skimmed the battlefield, firing down, deflecting answering fire from the droids.

Obi-Wan, Mary, Anakin and Padmé were at the open sides of the Gunship. Clones fired down at the droids below.

The Gunship slowed, circling over a droid gun-emplacement. It blasted it, but suddenly the Gunship was rocked by a near miss. It lurched violently.

"Hold on! Look over there..." said Obi-Wan.

Through the other side of the Gunship, they saw a Geonosian Speeder racing past. In the open cockpit was the unmistakable figure of Count Dooku.

"It's Dooku, go after him!" yelled Anakin.

The pilot started to comply, but... there was a huge blast, the ship lurched on its side, and Padmé tumbled out.

"Padmé!!!" shouted Anakin.