Chapter 9

The Naboo Star ship descended, hovered, and landed on a bluff

The Naboo Star ship descended, hovered, and landed on a bluff. Anakin, Mary and Padmé got out. They looked down from the edge of the bluff to where the homestead was seen on the desert floor below.

"Stay with the ship, R2."

R2 whistled as they started down the trail toward the homestead.

C-3PO was working outside the homestead. He still lacked an outer covering; his inner parts and wiring show. He looked up as they arrived.

"Good evening. May I help you?" asked C-3PO.

"C-3PO?" Mary and Ani said.

"Oh, my... oh, my! Masters Anakin and Mary! My goodness, I can hardly believe it! And this must be Miss Padme."

"Hello, C-3PO."

"We've come to see our mother." Mary said.

"Oh, dear! I'm so terribly sorry, Masters Ani and Mary."

"3PO, what's happened?" asked Padmé.

"I think we'd better go inside."

They arrived in the courtyard. C-3PO shuffled ahead.

"Master Lars, Master Owen! Somebody to see you!"

Owen Lars and Beru Whitesun came out into the courtyard.

"We're Anakin and Mary Skywalker. We're here looking for our mother." Anakin said.

"Owen Lars... I guess I'm your step-brother. This is my girlfriend, Beru."

"Hello." waved Beru.

"I'm Padmé."

"I had a feeling you might show up some day." Owen said.

"Is our mother here?" asked Anakin.

"No, she's not." Cliegg answered.

Cliegg Lars swinged from the house on a small floating chair. One of his legs was heavily bandaged; the other was missing. He balanced awkwardly and put out a hand.

"Cliegg Lars. Shmi is my wife... Come on inside. We have a lot to talk about."

Beru put several steaming cups of ardees on a tray and exited the kitchen...

"It was just before dawn. They came out of nowhere. A hunting party of Tusken Raiders." Cliegg said.

Cliegg, Owen, Padmé, Mary and Anakin sat around the table, Beru brought the drinks from the kitchen.

"Your mother had gone out early, like she always did, to pick mushrooms that grow on the vaporatos. From the tracks, she was about halfway when they took her. Those Tuskens walk like men, but they're vicious, mindless monsters. Thirty of us went out after her. Four of us came back. Three more are still out there looking. I'd be with them, only... I just couldn't ride any more... until I heal." said Cliegg.