16. Neo

I woke up startled. I could hear howling coming from outside. The howling was coming from the patrol wolves. I quickly climbed out of bed, ignoring Markus's complaints, and raced downstairs. I almost ran into my dad who was also running to get outside. We both quickly scrambled downstairs and basically jumped out of the tree instead of climbing down. We both shifted almost immediately and took off running toward the tree line once our paws hit the ground.

    Once we got to the tree line we saw the patrol wolves fighting back enemy wolves. From the scent of the attacking wolves, it was another pack we were attacking. What the hell? Why are they attacking us? I watched as my dad jumped straight into the fight, snarling and snapping at the enemy wolves. I followed suit and started attacking.

    I very quickly grabbed the scruff of an enemy wolf's neck and bit down hard, yanking my head to the side. The wolf let out a pained yip as I tore its flesh from the bone. Blood filled my mouth and gushed out of the wound almost immediately. The wolf I'm fighting tried to attack with its claws but I quickly threw them on their back and ripped out its jugular with my canines. I then swiftly moved on to my next target.

    One of the patrol wolves was getting attacked by three enemy wolves so I quickly ran over to help. I jumped on the back of one and ripped my claws down its back. The enemy wolf snarled in pain and whipped around to snap its jaws at me. I growled low in my throat before attacking. We both clashed snarling, biting, and clawing at any exposed skin we could reach. In a rush of rage, I managed to throw the wolf into a tree. I heard a crack sound followed by a whine. I then launched myself on top of the wolf sinking my teeth into the neck and yanking hard. I heard a sickening crack as the wolf went limp underneath me.

    Next thing I know, I feel claws rake down my side causing me to howl in pain. I swirled around to face my attacker. The opposing wolf went to bite down on my body, but I quickly threw them down and attacked its exposed underside. I bit the exposed flesh harshly, ripping a chunk out as I pulled my head back. The wolf growled angrily trying to kick me off of him, I snapped at the wolf dragging my claws into its soft flesh. I pushed one paw down on the wolf's chest and grabbed the snout between my jaws. I yanked my head up hard causing another sickening crack to be heard before the wolf went lax.

    After finishing that fight, I got jumped by three wolves at once. I struggled keeping them off me. I growled low in my throat as I watched the wolves closely before they attacked me. I'd been lowered to only swatting them back. They had made sure I wouldn't be able to attack them.  Just as all three were about to attack at once, a gray and white blur flashed by knocking one of the wolves back.

    Markus! What is he doing here?

    Never mind that Neo. Focus on staying alive!

    Right! I tuned back into the fight as soon as an enemy wolf was about to attack me. I quickly brought them down, then turned around to look at Markus. He had also taken his attacker down swiftly. I'm not happy seeing my mate close to danger, but I do want to make out with him badly.

    The sound of howling knocked me out of my daydreams about my mate. I turned around to see the enemy pack retreating into the tree line. I'm glad they gave up. I immediately went to find my dad to see if he was okay and to ask him some questions. I could feel Markus following me as well.

    I quickly found my dad standing by some enforcers, talking with them. I shifted quickly with Markus following suit. We both walked over to my father. The enforcers nodded their heads toward me when they caught sight of me. I wrapped my arm around Markus, pulling him close. I needed to feel him against me after seeing him fighting. I have no idea how long he's been fighting and I don't like the thought of him being hurt.

"I want you to retrieve the fallen and count who we lost." My father told the enforcers. They nodded their heads towards him and left to complete the task.

    "Neo, you need to go see the healer." Dad told me.

    "I will, but I want to know what happened."

    "You won't go till we talk, will you?"

    "Nope" Dad let out a sigh before looking at me.

    "You're stubborn like your mom."

    "You know it." I gave him a cheeky smile.

    "Fine, we'll talk on the way to the healer's." Satisfied that I'll get my answers, I walked with my mate and father to our pack healer.

    "So what pack was that?"

    "The Downcast Pack."

    "Interesting name they have there. Why did they attack us? As far as I know, we haven;t done anything to provoke another pack to attack."

    "That's the thing about the Downcast pack. They don't care if you do anything or not. They'll attack for no reason except to take over land. They're the worst. Probably worse than rogues."

    "Have you had a lot of run-ins with that pack, Lake? You sound like you've dealt with them quite a bit." Markus spoke up.

    "Upsettingly, yes. I've had to deal with them too many times to count." Dad grumbled "Every werewolf pack knows about them though. Kind of need to know these things however. We're at the healer's now. Get yourself patched up son. I'm going to hold a funeral and a meeting for our deceased later."

    "Okay. Love you dad, talk to you later. C'mon on Markus." I grabbed Markus's hand and pulled him inside with me after we waved bye to my dad.