17. Markus

"Ow" Neo yelped in pain. I watched Neo grimace in pain as our pack healer cleaned up his wounds. I was leaning against the wall with my arms crossed.

    "You wouldn't have to go through this if you weren't reckless" I told him.

    "I wasn't being reckless. I was protecting my pack. Why'd you come running into the fight?"

    "You weren't in bed when I woke up and I heard fighting outside."

    "That can't be the only reason." Neo hissed and winced after his sentence. The healer had hit a particular spot apparently that hurt.

    "I didn't like seeing someone else hurt you." I told him, frowning. Neo's face softened at my answer.

    "I'm sorry if I worried you. Come here." He held his hand out to me.

    "Nuh uh. I want none of that until after I've finished bandaging you up." The healer stated when I went to grab his hand. Neo and I gave him a sheepish smile. I continued to watch as our pack healer patch up my mate. Our pack healer was an omega with blonde hair and blue eyes. He had a delicate figure and stood no taller than 5'3". He's probably the best healer out of all of them in our pack. We have a total of ten if my memory serves me correctly. I believe he is also mated to one of our pack warriors.

    "There you go Neo. Do tell your brother I said hi, yes?" the healer spoke, breaking me out of my trance.

    "Of course, thank you Nicky." Neo responded, giving the healer a charming smile. Nicky, the healer, gave him a warm smile in response. Neo stood up and grabbed my hand waving goodbye to the healer.

    "Come on Markus, let's go get some food."

    "So is Nicky the name of our best healer?"

    "No, his real name is Nicholas."

    "So, you know him really well then? Have you had to go see him a lot?" I asked, looking up at him.

    "Kind of. Me and Luke did get injured quite a bit growing up, but Nicky did babysit us when we were younger."

    "How old is he?"

    "25."

    "Really?! I thought he could be 30."

    "Don't let him hear you say that."

    "Why?"

    "He'd bash your head in. He gets offended when people think he's older than what he actually is. Luke and I learned that the hard way." Neo chuckled sheepishly while scratching his head. "Anyway, why so curious?"

    "You guys were just so friendly. So I was curious."

    "Were you jealous?" Neo spoke in a teasing tone.

    "Maybe a little." I admitted, ducking my head down. Neo chuckled at me.

    "You better get used to seeing me friendly with others." He responded.

    "Why?"

    "Because, I'm the future Alpha and I should interact with all the members of my pack." I pouted, turning my face away from him while crossing my arms over my chest. Neo chuckled at my expanse. His chuckling only made me pout further. Neo stopped us and grabbed my chin between his thumb and forefinger.

    "But keep this in mind Markus. You're the one I'm the most friendly with. As well as the one who gets all of my attention." Neo then pulled me into a quick soft kiss. I immediately felt heat rush to my cheeks. Who knew Neo could be a charmer.

    He makes me swoon. Matt chirped up.

    I know and I don't really feel like being horny right now. Our pack was just attacked not too long ago for God's sake.

    You don't have to be. I'll just be horny for the both of us.

    Not helping. I grumble. I looked up at Neo as we continued walking to his house.

    "So, what are we eating when we get back?"

    "Cereal"

    "Really?"

    "Yes. I'm still partially tired and too hungry to care about taking time to make food. Let's eat then go back to sleep until the meeting."

    "Okay." When we got back to his house, Neo did exactly as he said he was going to do. He grabbed a box of cereal from the pantry and poured us both a bowl of cereal. After eating, we went upstairs. We took turns washing up before crawling into bed to sleep some more.

    We both woke up about an hour before the meeting was to happen. We quickly got ready before finding Lake together. We ended up finding him in his office looking over some important papers. He had a grim look on his face. Seeing his expression made me wonder how many we lost.

    "Hey dad. I thought we could all head over together." Neo spoke up startling his father out of his thoughts.

    "Of course. Go get your mom and brother then we'll head out."

    "Okay, c'mon Markus. Let's go find them." Shortly afterwards all five of us were on the way to where Lake was holding the pack meeting. I was getting slightly unnerved though. Lake kept looking over at me with this look of sadness and pity. I didn't like the feeling it gave me. I held Neo's hand even tighter as we continued our walk.

    It didn't take too long to reach our destination and the rest of the pack members slowly showed up. Lake started the meeting by welcoming everyone. He then explained what had happened earlier this morning. I watched the pack's faces as he went over the list of our deceased. However, I almost fell to my knees when I heard my parents' names. That's why Alpha Lake was looking at me like that. I could feel Neo's eyes on me almost immediately, though I kept my gaze on the ground. I couldn't look at him or I would probably crumble. Though now that I think about it, what about Jake?

    My eyes instantly searched the crowd for my little brother. Once my eyes locked on him, I saw the instant grief on his face. I felt Neo's grip on my hand tighten but I kept my eyes on my brother. I didn't want to lose sight of him now. The rest of the meeting continued on and we then moved onto having a funeral for the deceased. As we all moved to the location for our dead, I moved over to my brother.

    Jake looked up at me as I grabbed ahold of him and pulled him into a hug. Upon that instance, Jake let go of himself and cried. He held onto me for dear life as he cried at the loss of our parents. He continued crying until he basically passed out in my arms. I picked him up and cradled him close to my chest. Neo came over to us and pulled me into him.

    "Can he come live with us Neo? Please, he doesn't have anywhere else to go." I pleaded.

    "You don't need to ask or plead so hard. I already talked to my dad about it. We're going to take him back to our place then get his stuff tomorrow."

    "Thank you, Neo." I responded, tears falling from my eyes.

    "It's what mates are for." I laid my head against his chest as I let more tears fall.