22. Neo

I woke up two hours later, my stomach growling. That's when I realized that Markus and I hadn't eaten yet today.

But we already have eaten. My wolf spoke up.

I don't remember eating anything though.

We had our mate as our meal, duh.

Okay, but I'm talking about actual food here.

Who needs food when we have a fine specimen of a mate laying right next to us.

Me, I need real food despite how delectable he is.

"Neo" said Markus from next to me. The voice of my mate stopped any further bickering between me and Nick.

"Yes Markus?" I asked.

"'M hungry" came the sleepy response.

"Would you like to go get something to eat?"

"Yes, please" Markus then slowly sat up, rubbing his eyes and letting out a small yawn.

Ah! So cute, so cute! My wolf screeched. I chuckled to myself while I helped my sleepy mate crawl out of bed and head downstairs. We passed my family, and I gave them a little wave of acknowledgement as we headed to the kitchen. Markus held my hand and leaned into me as we walked.

"Do you know what you would like to eat?" I asked once we got to the kitchen.

"French toast, please" Markus responded with pleading eyes.

"Coming right up" I smiled down at him. Markus went to sit at the table while I gathered the ingredients to make his meal. I cracked the eggs into a decent sized dish before adding some milk and mixing it together. I then placed slices of bread into the egg mixture before placing them into the pan to cook. I also made some bacon and sliced up some bananas and strawberries for my mate. I plated up the toast, fruit and bacon for the two of us. I had also added some butter and powdered sugar to the French toast. I quickly grabbed silverware and took the food to my waiting mate. Markus jumped in excitement when his eyes landed on the plate.

"Would you like some juice?" I asked while setting the food down in front of him. Markus just nodded his head yes as he reached for the utensils. I made quick work of getting us both glasses of orange juice and joining him at the table. Markus hummed in appreciation of his meal. We sat in a comfortable silence, just enjoying each other's presence. Once done, I gathered our empty dishes, taking them to the kitchen to clean. We both then went upstairs and watched some t.v. together.

*************

Later that night, just as Markus and I were about to fall asleep, we heard the patrolling wolf's howl. We looked at each other before immediately bolting downstairs. We ran into my parents, them doing the same.

"Dad-" I started to say.

"An attack" He growled out, cutting me off.

"What's going on?" came Jake's voice. He looked like he was just sleeping from the look of his messy hair and rubbing of his eyes. He's just like his brother in that regard.

"Nothing, go back to sleep" Markus spoke in a calm voice. Jake nodded his head before sleepily walking back to his room.

Keep him safe. I mind linked Luke. He was standing in the corner of the room. He nodded his head to me in understanding before walking in the direction Jake went. My parents, Markus and I then went to join the wolves who were already fighting. I lost sight of my parents as soon as we jumped into action, but I made sure to stick close to Markus. I know he would be able to handle himself, but I can't bear the thought of something happening to him when I'm not around. We also finally mated. I don't want to lose him when I just got him.

Everyone was in wolf form, fighting a bloody battle. The stench of blood filled my nose. I could see that some wolves had already laid dead on the ground. I heard Markus snarl next to me as three enemy wolves came at us. I lowered in a threatening stance, growling low in my throat as I prepared to attack. One of the wolves went to attack Markus, hit him away, scratching his claws down the wolf's sides drawing blood. The wolf snarled in pain but hunched into an attacking position regardless. The other two stepped up and watched just behind the wounded wolf. I growled in warning, daring them to try and attack. All five of us waited to see who would strike first. The air was thick with tension.

Suddenly. The wounded wolf attacked again, impatient to wait much longer. Though this time he came after me. I immediately tackled him to the ground, biting around his throat and shaking my head violently. The wolf snarled and thrashed about, trying to get free. I could hear Markus fighting with the other two wolves. I was finally able to tug hard enough that a sickening crack filled my ears as the wolf went limp below me. I ran over and helped my mate in the two against one fight. We both made quick work of killing them before running to help the rest of the warriors.

We left a trail of enemy bodies as we fought side by side. We continued this till we heard one of the enemy wolf's howls. My pack stopped fighting to let the enemy pack retreat. My pack only attacked when provoked, so there was no reason to fight of the other pack was going to leave us alone now. We were a peaceful pack. We didn't go searching for violence like others.

I helped the warriors collect the fallen, both friend and foe alike. Our side lost twenty while the foe lost forty of theirs. We held a funeral for both sides. I realized after that I hadn't seen my parents since we joined the fight. Markus and I decided to go look for my parents when I mentioned my thoughts to him. I followed their scent all the way to the infirmary.

Oh no. Fear filled my gut and my grip on Markus's hand got tighter. Markus placed a reassuring hand on my arm. He gave me a look saying that it would all be okay. I prayed that my parents were okay.

I walked into the infirmary, following my parents' familiar scent down the hall. I took careful steps hoping for the best. Hopefully they're just here for a fellow pack mate. The feeling in my gut told me otherwise. We finally reached the door where my parents' scents were coming from. I placed a shaky hand on the doorknob and took a deep breath before opening the door.

I would have fallen to my knees if Markus wasn't beside me. Looking into the room, my mom was on a bed hooked to wires. My dad was beside her, holding tightly to her hand. Dad looked over at the sound of the door. I could see the unshed tears in his eyes. I immediately rushed over, wrapping my arms around my father. He immediately hugged me back in a tight grip. I had trouble breathing in my father's grasp, but I couldn't care less as I felt tears hitting me.

"I told her not to, son. I told her to stay, but she was adamant about coming." My father hiccupped between his tears. "I should have tried harder. P-put my foot down."

"But she's still alive, dad. Is she not?" I felt the tears threatening to spill from my eyes. I've never seen my father so broken, let alone ever cry before.

"She's in a coma and the healers don't know if she'll make it." The news sank in. Mom was in a coma, and she might not make it. The tears fell from my eyes, blurring my vision. I held on tighter to dad.

"D-does Luke know?" I dared to ask.

"No" Dread filled me inside. Luke was going to be devastated at the news. Him and mom were close. They were basically friends instead of mother and son. I clung tighter to my dad as the tears refused to leave. I felt Markus standing in the doorway letting us have a moment to grasp the situation we're in.

Dad and I stayed in our position for a while before finally letting go. He decided he was going to stay next to mom, hoping for her to get better. I walked over to Markus, grabbing his hand. I need the feel of him more than ever. We walked in silence back home to our room. I could feel Markus's worry for me come off him in waves. I had no energy or will in me right now to say I'll be okay. Besides, I can't lie to myself. I'm really not okay right now.

I got ready for bed and crawled under the covers feeling slightly numb. I looked up at Markus when he didn't even come join me. I opened my arms towards him, needing to feel him by my side. Seeing my parents like that makes me feel better at having Markus be okay. Though I need him with me to help me from the darkness threatening to pull me in. I fell asleep with my mate caged between my arms and the hopes for my mom to wake up soon.