26. 3rd POV

About a hundred miles in the forest lay the Downcast pack. The leaders were having a meeting in their office space. Veronica was pacing around, furious. News about how Lake's pack fared just came back to them. Her mate, Lee, was standing in the corner watching with a bored expression. Their son was standing in front of a desk trying not to show the fear he held in the presence of his mom.

"You had one job, Landry!" One. Job. And you failed!" Veronica seethed, turning around to glare at her useless son. Laundry stayed quiet, clenching his fists.

"You were supposed to kill both Lake and Jessica! not put only Jessica in a fucking coma and let Lake continue walking around!" Laundry felt his arms start to shake as his mother continued bashing him. He was never good enough. Yet he still tried despite everything Veronica threw at him. He was so sure that Jessica had died that day. She was barely even breathing when he went looking for Lake. The only reason the bastard got to keep living was because the cowardly warriors from his own pack bolted. Now he had to deal with the repercussions. He waited to tell his mom for this very reason.

"Are you even listening to me! Gosh, you're such a useless, pathetic excuse of a son. Why did I ever keep you?" Veronica exclaimed, ignoring how her words might hurt her son. Unknown to Veronica, Laundry had thought about leaving a multitude of times.

"Ha, whatever. It's useless trying to scold you. You'll still end up screwing up again. Though soon, we'll have you be leader of that pack." Veronica had this evil gleam light up her eyes.

"You'll be taking over shortly after our third attack. This one will be the best planned of all." Veronica laughed to herself as thoughts of ruling the world filled her head. She knew she was going to leave her useless kid in the woods so that she didn't have to see him every day anymore. Veronica looked over at Laundry in disgust before letting out a sigh. She put on a fake loving smile before pulling laundry in a hug.

"I do love you boy. You are my flesh and blood. You better not disappoint me this last go around, okay?" Laundry gave his mom a nod in understanding. He didn't believe her motherly act for a second. Veronica patted Laundry on the back before walking towards Lee. Laundry took that as his cue to finally be able to leave. He tried to not bolt towards the door and walk as calmly as possible. He couldn't wait to be as far away from her as possible.

Life will get better son Lan, I'm sure of it. Liam, Laundry's wolf, spoke up.

I'm not quite sure about that Liam. I wish my family was like Neo's. Laundry would every once in a while, spy on Neo when he got the chance to sneak away. He wasn't sure what it was, but he felt some sort of connection every time he saw Neo. He also felt a longing and sense of loss he couldn't explain.

I wish you did too. You don't deserve to be treated like this. But I can sense that something good will happen. Liam tried to cheer his human up.

I hope you're right. Laundry sighed before closing the link between him and his wolf. Laundry continued walking, eventually entering the forest. He meandered around, kicking any rocks along his path. He had to admit that he felt more at peace away from his pack. He just felt restless and out of place being among them. Laundry laid down under a tree, closing his eyes in comfort. He listened to the environment around him, letting it lull him into a for once, peaceful sleep.