𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓

" 𝘵𝘳𝘶𝘴𝘵 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘪𝘮𝘪𝘯𝘨 "

" 𝘵𝘳𝘶𝘴𝘵 𝘪𝘯 𝘵𝘪𝘮𝘪𝘯𝘨 "

    An archaeopteryx?

   THROUGHOUT ALL TWENTY SEVEN years of her life, Choi Hyejin has never been through something as embarrassing as this.

     She was confident, she knew that. But being splayed out on Hari's lap, her heels barely grazing the concrete outside while she stared up at her best friend's boss awkwardly made it kind of difficult to feel anything but self resentment.

"What are you doing?"

     "I just thought that-" Hyejin began, her eyes widening as she glanced outside the window to see Minwoo walk by the front of the car. She then let out a quiet gasp, all of a sudden being dragged up by her shoulders so Hari could hide.

"Hari look, he's wearing the cashmere coat from my winter-

    "She has something she needs to tell you." Hari's eyes widened as she cut Hyejin off again, shoving herself farther down in her seat while bringing Hyejin up.

"I do?"

    "What is it?" Taemoo questioned, seemingly unfazed by Hyejin's nose grazing his.

    "Um," Hyejin began staring at the man in front of her awkwardly, only for her eyes to widen when Hari forcefully led her hand to grab his tie and began pulling him closer, so she would remain hidden.

    "I assumed you'd at least wait until we went on some of our dates before you wanted to get so close to me." Taemoo said, staring down at the women face to face with him. "So what are we doing right now?"

    "Our dates?" Hyejin asked, staring at him weirdly before she quickly let go of his tie and flattened out the wrinkles on his dress shirt awkwardly. "Our dates..."

    "You agreed to go on ten dates with me before deciding whether or not you wanted to marry me." He replied.

    "Oh right." She said, her tone becoming crestfallen.

    "You guys are getting married?" Hari exclaimed, just catching up to the current conversation. "Oh, I mean-" She attempted to correct herself after Hyejin awkwardly elbowed her from her position on her lap.

    "What she means is we'll be leaving now!" Hyejin cut in, quickly pushing herself out of the open vehicle while Hari held onto her corset from the top. "And I'll be needing a rain check on those dates."

     Once she was out of the car, Hyejin began dusting herself off as Hari began to get out, only for both of them to freeze.

    "I'm still going to marry you. So tell me why you don't want to marry me."

    Hyejin stood there, awkwardly blinking at him, unsure of how to reply. The only thing registering in her mind was the fact that this wasn't normal. And before she met Kang Taemoo, her life was completely normal.

She always woke up in her cozy two story loft apartment and ate breakfast cooked by her chef. She would show up at her own company building an hour late, but it was okay because she was always fashionably late. She went to a few boring meetings with other luxury fashion designers, and then had brunch with dermatologists for her skin care line. Sometimes she'd even have the occasional blind date, but she'd be home by the evening and was in bed by ten, unless she was hanging out with Yeonmi, Hari, and Youngseo.

    But, now? Now she's running away from this annoyingly cute, persistent, egotistical man who's so hellbent on marrying her when she's made it clear that she's not interested in marrying him at the moment.

    "She doesn't like everything about you." Hari cut in after realizing Hyejin wasn't going to speak after she's been staring unblinkingly at them for a few minutes.

    "She doesn't like anything about you!" She repeated, waving her hand around in a circular motion to exaggerate her words.

    "You- you're really cheesy!" Hyejin exclaimed out of the blue, swallowing the yell she wanted to let out at the pinch to her thigh from Hari. "You say weird things with sexual innuendos behind it and you get really close to my face-"

    "She just doesn't like you." Hari cut in, desperately attempting to prevent a nervous ramble from Hyejin.

    "Or how your face looks like an archaeopteryx." Hyejin added, taking a deep breath as she tightly squeezed the car handle.

    "An archaeopteryx?" Taemoo asked, ignoring the stifled laugh from his secretary.

    "Yeah, the dinosaur that has the really big wings and the long legs, and the nose-" Hyejin began, only to be cut off by Hari, again.

    "We'll be leaving now, it's a green light!" She said, quickly getting out of the car and grabbing Hyejin's arm.

"An archaeopteryx, seriously?!"

authors note:
❣️I hope everyone had an amazing week<33, bit of a short chapter but I'll try to update this weekend! andddd, I'm not sure if anyone knows, but I'll put the outfits I imagine Hyejin wearing in the chapter in the small "mood board" in the beginning of chapter, and photos that match the chapter
moving on, I'm also thinking of starting another book so give me recommendations! also lmk if you'd like to see anything from this book, or if you find any mistakes<333