𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟔

" 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘭𝘪𝘵𝘵𝘭𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘴? 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘭𝘪𝘵𝘵𝘭𝘦 𝘮𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘴? — 𝘛𝘩𝘦𝘺 𝘢𝘳𝘦𝘯'𝘵 𝘭𝘪𝘵𝘵𝘭𝘦

" 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘭𝘪𝘵𝘵𝘭𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘴? 𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘭𝘪𝘵𝘵𝘭𝘦 𝘮𝘰𝘮𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘴? — 𝘛𝘩𝘦𝘺 𝘢𝘳𝘦𝘯'𝘵 𝘭𝘪𝘵𝘵𝘭𝘦. "
- John Zabat-Zinn

Shopping?

    SITTING AT HER GLASS DESK, HYEJIN impatiently tapped her manicured fingers on the armrest of her large beige desk chair, waiting for her call to be answered.

    "Hello, Ms. Choi?"

    "Finally you picked up." Hyejin huffed, rolling her eyes in exasperation.

    "I should be the one getting annoyed with you. I called you before but you didn't pick up." Taemoo retaliated, making the girl let out another sigh.

    "Right, why did you call me before and then say it was an emergency?"

    "Never mind that. Why didn't you pick up?"

    "I was at a shoot and I didn't have my phone on me." She shrugged, holding her phone in between her shoulder and ear before picking up the folder in her lap and absentmindedly flipping through the designs it held.

    "What? Why don't you keep your phone with you?" The man on the line asked in confusion.

    "So I don't get distracted. I thought that was kind of self explanatory. Anyways, is there something you need?"

   "Would it kill you to exchange pleasantries first?" He began, clearly losing patience. "I'll open it up for us. Hi. How have you been? How's work?"

     "Hi Taemoo. I've been good. Work's been good, pretty busy though." Letting out a small amused hum, the girl replied as she glanced at the city through the window wall on her right with a small smile on her face.

    "I just wanted to ask, do you know what day this Saturday is?" He moved on, happy with her response. 

     Thinking for a moment, Hyejin's eyes widened. "Oh, that's our fake one year anniversary!" She quietly exclaimed.

     "You're doing better than me. I'd forgotten all about it." He chuckled.

     "No worries." The girl in white shrugged even though he couldn't see it. "Why do you ask?"

     "My grandpa found out about it, so things got a bit messed up."

     "Oh that must be tough." She said, frowning sympathetically.

     "Actually, I was wondering if you would like to...meet for dinner with me tonight?" Taemoo asked hesitantly.

     Letting out a quiet hum, Hyejin subconsciously  began fidgeting with the corner of one of the papers in her hands. "That sounds really nice, but I told my parents we'd stop by tonight around eight for dinner."