Chapter 17: Ash vs Olivia

Ash and the gang spend the next two weeks travelling to Memorial hill for Ash's final Akala island trial against kahuna Olivia. On the way the last of the 4 eggs finally hatches revealing itself to be a Jangmo-o. Ash is super happy with this but is warned by Lillie that she has read that dragon type pokemon are particularly hard to raise. Ash smiles reassuringly and says "Don't worry, I've got some experience of handling dragon types I think we'll be fine."

Jangmo-o is full of energy and personality when he first hatches but Ash quickly figures out that he has a particular appetite for battling strong opponents as jangmo-o instantly wants to get stronger after watching Ash and the rest of his pokemon in training Ash tells jangmo "the two of us will get stronger together and one day we will both be strong enough to win the Alola league." Jangmo-o seems happy with this answer as they all make their way to the battle against Olivia.

Ash and the gang arrive at the entrance to Memorial hill. Ash takes a deep breath and says "We finally made it." Mallow sighs and says "That was quite the trip." Lillie adds "You can say that again." Ash takes another big breath as he steps towards the entrance. He looks up at Pikachu and they both give each other a nod. Ash whispers to himself "It's time to show you what we're made of Olivia.

Ash pushes the gate open and is instantly met by a cheering crowd. He looks around to see a large crowd gathered around the battlefield. That's no surprise to see such a large crowd but they definitely seem a little more enthusiastic than normal given Ash's presence. Ash looks around at the rocky battlefield with the kahuna stood on the far side.

The group wish Ash good luck before they head up into the crowd. Ash walks forward towards the battlefield and comes face to face with Olivia. Olivia smiles and says "Ash, welcome to Memorial hill, I've been expecting you. I had no doubt that a trainer of your ability would beat Akala's 3 trial captains and challenge me to a battle. Ash smiles and says "Me and my pokemon gave it our all and we managed to come out on top. The same thing will happen today, we don't intend to lose." Olivia smirks and says "I like your confidence, we should get this battle started as soon as possible."

"I agree," Ash replies as the two of them take their places on the battlefield. The crowd shudder in anticipation as they await the start off the battle.

The referee takes his place in the referee's box and says "This will be a 3v3 battle between the challenger Ash Ketchum from Pallet town and the Kahuna Olivia. The battle will be over when either sides pokemon are unable to battle and only the challenger will be able to make substitutions. Please send out your Pokémon."

Olivia takes pokeball from her pocket and says "Are you ready Ash." Ash pumps his fist and replies "You bet it's time to earn my rockium z." Olivia says "great then meet my first pokemon Graveler." She throws her pokeball forward and Graveler emerges from it. However it's not the same Graveler Ash is used to seeing. He raises an eyebrow and says "Wow that Graveler is different from the ones in kanto." He scans it with his Pokédex learning that this an Alolan Graveler, an electric rock type.

Ash takes a pokeball out and throws it out as he sends out Jangmo-o but not to battle. Ash turns to Jangmo-o and says "Jangmo-o go and join the others in the stands. Watch carefully and you'll learn something." Jangmo-o nods his head and walks over to Kiawe and the others in the stands.

Ash thinks about what his actual choice is going to be and hesitates to make a decision. "Graveler is a Rock and electric type that is quite hard for my current team to deal with. He has super effective attacks for Litten and Trumbeak, he'll resist Pikachu's electricity and he probably also has access to ground type moves. That high defence will be hard for Rockruff to break through." Ash thinks for a little longer before he makes his decision as he pulls out his pokeball and shouts "Trumbeak I choose you." The pokeball hits the ground as Trumbeak emerges and readies himself for battle. Olivia raises an eyebrow and says to herself "a fly type, interesting." Ash raises his fist and says "I know we're at a disadvantage Trumbeak but I believe in you." Trumbeak nods to his trainer showing no fear. The referee lowers his flag and shouts "battle begin."