Chapter 20: Ash vs Sophocles

After a long boat ride, Ash and the gang arrive at Ula Ula island. There first destination on the trip is to take on Sophocles, the electric wiz kid for the electrium z. Ash and the gang make their way there just over a week as Ash encourages the group to push through at a rapid pace, not stopping for their usual activities. The reason Ash is so hell bent on pushing through is simple. Serena is coming to Alola after the grand festival in a months time and if there's one thing he'd want more than anything it's to be there to watch her perform. However, seeing as that is unlikely he instead makes the decision that he wants to be done with the island challenge before she arrives so any time between then and the Alola league is for the two of them to spend together.

They soon reach the trial site. A giant sphere shaped lab that completely blocks out the sun. Ash stops outside the lab and takes a deep breath. He turns to Pikachu on his shoulder and says "Are you ready for our first Ula Ula island trial buddy."

"Pi Pikachu," the electric mouse claims excitedly while pumping his fist into the air. Ash smiles at his first Pokémon and says "I'm with you buddy I've got a good feeling about this one."

Ash takes a step towards the entrance to the trial area when he feels a hand on his shoulder. He turns around to see Kiawe looking at him with a serious look. Ash tilts his head with confusion and asks "Whats up Kiawe?" The fire type trainer  sighs "Look Ash, I know you know what your doing but aren't you rushing into this match a little too quick."

"I'm not sure what your trying to say Kiawe," the raven haired trainer relplies with a conflicted look."

"Okay Ash I'll just come clean. Are you sure your prepared for this battle. Usually you like to take time to train and prepare but this time you've rushed in straight to the first trial without taking time to prepare." Ash shakes his head and says in a confident tone "Trust me Kiawe I'm as ready as ever." Kiawe looks at his friend/mentor and sees nothing but confidence in his eyes. With that he takes a step back as Ash readjusts his hat.

Ash walks into the lab through a set of double doors. As the doors peer open the group peak inside to see a bright white lab with machines, equipment and inventions stricken all around the building. Across from the group, working on a new inventions, stands a bulky young ginger boy with a unique dress sense. Ash steps forward and says "My name is Ash Ketchum from pallet town and I'm here to challenge you for the electrium z."

The trial captain turns around with a surprised look and says "Wait a challenger, I haven't had one in ages. Wait what did you say your name was again." Ash sighs, seeing where this is going, and says in a bored tone "Ash, Ash Ketchum." The trial captain looks super flustered and screams "I know you!" Ash looks back and smiles to the group. He thinks to himself "Here we go again, hero of Kalos this, Alain that, Greninja this. I don't regret what I did but being recognised all the time is starting to get annoying ."

Sophocles points at Ash and to the raven haired trainers surprise says "Your a friend of Clemont, a world famous inventor and the gym leader of Lumiose city!" A smile appears on Ash's face as he is actually really happy that someone knows him for one of his freinds actions and not him for own for once. He raises a fist and says "Yeah Clemont is one my good friends, his inventions are so awesome. Man science is so amazing." Sophocles says in an excited tone," I know, is he here with you I'd love to meet him. Ash scarathes his head nervously and replies "Sorry he's in the Kalos region, but I'm sure you'll meet one day."Sophocles gets a little excited and says "Yes and when I do I will I will show him my perfect inventions." Ash smiles and says "That's good for you. I'm sure you guys would get along great."

Kiawe steps in and coughs "No offence but enough fanboying, are you two going to battle." Sophocles scratches nose and says "Sorry, I got a little a head of myself." Ash smiles and says "It's all good. So tell me where's the battlefield."