Chapter 46: The Aftermath

10 Years earlier

During lunch time at Professor Oak's summer camp is where we set our scene. Young Serena sits by the trees in the shade on her own as kids run around and play in the background.

She is wearing her same dress and straw hat that she wore when she first met Ash. She is sitting on the ground in the peace of a summers day. Pidgey's chirps fill the air, as Serena sits, picking floors on her lunch break as she makes a flower crown.

Serena keeps joining flowers with a small smile on her face as she carefully selects each individual flower with unusual concentration that you wouldn't associate with a seven year old kid. She takes her completed flower crown as she holds it in the air and exclaims "Ta da!"

She grins proudly at her flower chain and adds in an excited tone "All the colours match so beautifully! I can't wait to show mommy!"

She takes her straw hat off and wears the chain on her head as a little test run. She giggles and does a little twirl as the crown sits her top of her honey blonde hair.

She giggles a little before she takes off the crown and puts back on her hat before sitting back against the trees. She relaxes a little as she watches all the other kids playing and smiling with her friends.

Serena sighs and whispers "I wish I had friends like that. It's so lonely being on my own all the time."

She gets lost in her thoughts, thinking about the raven haired boy from yesterday. So far he's the only person in this whole camp who's ever spoke to her. For some reason Serena feels a warm feeling inside of her when she thinks of him. His Z mark cheeks fill her mind, as well as the way his raven hair blew in the wind.

Serena continues to stare off into space, not picking up that a group of people are about to approach her.

A young boy about Serena's age approaches her and shouts "Hey weird girl!"

Serena snaps out of her thoughts as she questions in a shocked tone "Huh, who me?"

Another boy rolls his eyes and remarks "Yeah you! Who else sits on there own talking to themselves."

A 3rd boy adds in a mocking tone "You should stop being so weird and get a life. Otherwise no one's ever going to want to play with you!"

Serena shakes a little, felling intimidated as she stammers "uhhhhhh."

The first boy rolls his eyes and exclaims "Come  on weirdo, what are you even doing over here?"

Serena feels herself shaking with nerves, not quite knowing what to do. She decides that she needs to be brave and open up a little. After all, her mother told her if she wants to start making friends she needs to be confident and act herself.

She takes a deep composing breath before she holds out her flower crown in front of her. She smiles an innocent smile and exclaims "I'm making these, do you want one?"

The second boy scoffs and replies "Let me see that!" He reaches out and snatches the flower crown straight out of her hands. He looks at it for a second before he mocks "These are pathetic! No one's gonna like you making these stupid things!"

Serena frowns as she folds her arms and shouts "Hey that's not yours! Give it back!"

The boy holds the crown high in the air, dangling it in front of Serena in teasing manner. He smirks and exclaims "No weird girl, I won't."

Serena puffs her cheeks out and complains "That's not yours! Please give it back. I made that for my mom!"

The boy holding the crown scoffs and exclaims "How stupid. If you want it then here."