29. His Last Hope

Rain.

Pete is lying in a hospital bed unconscious. His skin is pale, his lips are dry. He had a long tube in his mouth that connected to a monitor and supplied oxygen. The monitor was reading activity, but it looked like...

- Come, come closer. - Vegas invites me, stand on one side of the bed next to his husband.

I swallow painfully and gently approach. I see a chair next to the bed and I sit down, because in a moment I will fall to the ground.

Vegas approaches Pete's head and talks.:

- Baby, Rain's here. I thought you might want to talk to him. You like him.

But Pete didn't react. He lies so still with his eyes closed.

- What happened? - I ask quietly, looking at Venice's fathers.

Vegas kisses Pete on the cheek and stands up.

- Tharn wanted to shoot me, but Pete stood in front of me and took the bullet. It was just one, but very close to the heart. He's been in a coma ever since. He lost a lot of blood, and with his rare blood type, it was very hard to find. The doctors did everything they could... they don't have much hope that he'll wake up. Everyone who loves him visited him, but it had no effect. We're hoping for a miracle. - Vegas ' voice shakes when he speaks. He looks sad at Pete, but he's not crying. Maybe there are no more tears to cry. Or he just is.

And I can barely hold back my tears. Poor Pete. He is so kind and dedicated to everyone. He doesn't deserve this. And Vegas. I can see in his eyes how much he loves his wife. Despite everything I've learned about him from Tharn, I think he might be the best father for Venice and the best husband for Pete.

- And Venice?

- He doesn't know anything yet. I dare not tell him. In his condition, when he finds out, he could have another hemorrhage.

A tear drips down Vegas ' face, but he quickly wipes it away.

- But he's your son. He has a right to know.

- It is. But when he finds out, he'll blame me. - says Vegas, and he's sad. - What a coward am I? It's all my fault, and yet I'm afraid of my son.

I decide not to answer and look at Pete.

- Can I ask you something? - says Vegas and I nod.

- What did Tharn tell you?

I think before I answer, and he looks at me.

- I know what you want to know, but I'd rather not talk about it. And let me tell you something. I don't care what a crazy maniac says. I judge people by their current actions, not past ones. I know you're a good man now who loves his family. When Venice talks about you and Mr. Pete, his eyes shine with joy. Your son really loves you, sir, and that's all that should matter to you.

When I stop, my face is wet. He can't hide his tears either.

- Thank you. You're a good boy, Rain. I hope my son can appreciate you.

I get up and walk around the bed. I don't know why, but I think he needs this. I hold Venice's father for a moment, and then I walk away.

- Thank you.

All of a sudden, I get sick and I stagger. Vegas got me.

- Are you okay, Rain?

- I'm fine, just...

- You've been standing too long.

Vegas reaches out and presses a button, still holding me. Two nurses come in with a stroller. One helps me sit down.