53. Friends? I Don't Think So!

Venice.

I reluctantly observe and fake a smile at the latest arrivals for Sky and Natt's engagement. Generally, I knew that only the closest friends and family attend such a ceremony. But here, it seems like notoriety and ostentation have once again prevailed. I loved my family, but they loved showing off their wealth. Even on occasions like the engagement of the son of the family's head.

- Welcome - Uncle Porsche embraces Sky's parents as they arrive. Both of them are dressed in traditional Thai attire for their son's engagement.

- I'm so excited. Where are the kids? - Sky's mother asks, standing next to Uncle Porsche.

- They're still getting ready. You know, we didn't have much time to prepare. - Uncle Porsche complains.

Of course, what can you prepare if you have so little time? The house looks like a Viennese pavilion from the eighties. Everyone is dressed in strange clothes and smiles so widely as if they were getting married.

- Yes, why suddenly a traditional engagement? Hasn't that become outdated?

Why though? I wonder the same. I impatiently look towards the entrance. Sky said that Rain would come, but his parents came alone. So, he hasn't arrived yet.

- What's happening? - Flo stands next to me. I look at her. She's dressed in a beige dress, slightly above the knees, and her hair is down, with a few curls neatly pinned back.

- Nothing. More people are coming. And I'm wondering if Natt and Sky know about this.

- I bet they won't be happy. You...

And everything suddenly goes quiet. The world hushes, and everything freezes when my eyes find him. He enters and starts exchanging greetings with my parents. His mother embraces him, and then my sister clings to him like a child. He smiles and pats her back as she hugs him tightly. He's so handsome. He's dressed in an elegant suit in light green and black. He's tied a part of his hair back, and the rest falls freely. Now I notice how much he's actually grown; there are even a few blonde curls. My goodness, he's so...

- Beautiful. - I realize I've spoken my thoughts aloud because his eyes immediately find mine, and he blushes. A familiar blush spreads across his cheeks, and he averts his gaze just as I smile.

- This is Yi - Rain says and steps aside. Then I see a tall man standing behind Rain, grabbing his shoulders. This must be the unfamiliar guy. - This is my mother. - Rain introduces him to the others, who are all looking slightly puzzled. And rightly so. The man is tall, certainly taller than Rain. But the little one shines next to him, so I guess there's no problem.

- This is Flo. My very good friend. - Rain says, pointing to Flo, who is now standing next to me.

- Nice to meet you, Flo. - the poor guy extends his hand to my sister, but she's too engrossed to look at him without blinking.

- You're very handsome. - she says and takes his hand. - You're him, right? - Flo asks, looking at Rain.

- He's my friend. - Rain says and nods.

- But I thought... - Flo starts, but I interrupt her before she says anything wrong.

- Flo. - she turns to me, and I give her a warning look. She sighs in resignation and steps back a few paces.

Apparently, it's my turn now. I stand in front of the person everyone is sighing about. I gaze at him. He's not that beautiful. Well, maybe a little.

- Yi. A friend of Rain's. - he says and extends his hand to me.