34. Advanced Games

Venice

I've been staring at the white envelope for about half an hour. I have too many theories going through my head and I'm already going crazy. Next to me sits Natt with the same white envelope in front of him.

- That's enough. I'm opening it. - I'm reaching for the envelope.

- Nooo. - Natt screams and clings to me. - You never know what might come out of there. A finger, a contagious disease, or even a nuclear attack. I don't know Rain well, but I'll tell you, Sky's out of his mind, and I can expect anything from him. Once, when I accidentally threw away his favorite shirt, he kept me in the rain all night. Can you imagine?

- Have you done anything to make him angry? - I ask and push him hard. This guy turned out to be a big coward.

- I think not. And you? - he turns his head at me.

- I have no idea. Everything was fine. He said he was going to university, and I haven't heard from him since. He's not answering my phone. And now these. - I look at the letters.

- You must have done something you didn't know about. Or you haven't done it yet, but he feels you will. Bro, when you're in a relationship, it's important to know that you're always guilty even if you didn't do anything.

I look at the letters again. Obviously, we had both done something, because Sky and Rain had disappeared. When we tried to contact them, Pa Pete and uncle Porsche came to us and handed us two white envelopes with our names on them. And now they're gloating, sitting across from us, watching us.

- They know something, I'm sure. - I sniff at Natt, scowling at Pa Pete. He just raised an eyebrow and sipped from his cup of coffee. I didn't expect that from him. I thought he was on my side.

- They won't say anything. They are in coalition.

- What are you doing? - my father Vegas and uncle Kinn come to us and sit next to their husbands.

- What is this? - uncle Kinn asks and takes the letter to open it.

- Don't. - we're all calling with one voice.

- All right, what the hell. - he quickly puts the letter back on the table.

- He has to open it. - uncle Porsche says, and looks slyly at Natt, who gulps down a coward.

- I don't want to.

- What's going on?

- Rain and Sky won't pick us up. They're obviously angry about something, and they gave these letters to our mothers to deliver to us. - I'm brief.

- Whoo, what did you do? – Dad Vegas asks.

- You see? - I'm getting caught by Natt.

- Nothing. - we answer again.

- It's never be nothing. You've done something you don't even know you've done. See, I told you you'd be in my position. - says Pa Vegas, but when his husband looks at him, he leans down and kisses him on the cheek. - I'm sorry, I love you.

- That's bullshit. - I grab and sigh. I open it slowly, and everyone is watching me. Natt takes it, too. - On three...one, two, three..- we open it at the same time.

- It says something. - says Natt. I look at my paper and there are really printed lines. How childish. And then a giant hammer hits me and drives me to the ground.

- "In search of Valentine's day" - we talk at the same time and look at each other.

- It's worse than I thought. - Natt is desperate.