52. Back in Bangkok

Rain.

- Rain. Wake up.

I feel someone gently stroking my face, and I open my eyes. He's leaning over me. I look around sleepily. The car has stopped.

- What's going on?

- You fell asleep on the way and didn't tell me where to take you. So, I...

He extends his hand to help me out of the car. I straighten my clothes while he locks the door. It's dark outside.

- Where are we? - I ask, looking up at the enormous building in front of me.

We're in front of some massive hotel. An employee approaches us and respectfully bows to him before taking the key and leading me to the entrance.

- I live here. The hotel belongs to me. - he says and quickly adds, apparently noticing my shocked expression. - Or rather, it belongs to my father. It's outside Bangkok, so I thought it would be a good hideaway for you to rest. But if you want, we can always go somewhere else.

He looks at me anxiously as I gaze at the shiny building. I grab his hand to reassure him.

- No, this is fine. Thank you.

We enter together, hand in hand, and several people turn their heads curiously as we pass through the lobby. I look around with interest. The shiny floor, the French windows, the beautiful and modern furnishings all scream that this is a place for people with a lot of money. We stop at the elevators, and he presses the button. I can even see my reflection in the elevator doors. While I admire myself, the doors open, and a middle-aged man in uniform invites us to enter.

- Hello, Yan.

- Hello, sir.

Yan presses the top button, which has no number, and the elevator starts moving.

- How are you today? - he asks. Clearly, he enjoys knowing his employees.

- I'm well, sir. Thank you for your concern.

That's the last thing he says, and we continue to ascend in silence. The elevator stops, and the doors open. We step out, and we find ourselves in the living room. I'm left open-mouthed.

- Have a nice day, sir. - Yan says, and the doors close. We are alone in the apartment, which feels more like another world.

- I didn't know you were so wealthy. - I say and walk further inside. - Well, I had a hunch when I first saw you, but this is...

He lets me explore, and I'm in awe of everything. I feel his tense gaze on me.

- Be honest. Are you bringing me here to reenact the movie "Pretty Woman"? Because I've watched it a million times and I could perfectly play Julia Roberts. - I joke, and he smiles. The tension disappears from his shoulders, and he approaches.

- I've never brought anyone else here except... - he stumbles and squints slightly, as if he's made a huge mistake. Then he opens his eyes again, and the slight confusion is gone. - It doesn't matter. Tell me, did you like it? - he asks with a smile. Is he joking? I can't stop looking around. I grab his hand.

- Where's your room? - I ask and pull him inside.

We pass through the living room to a long corridor with two rooms. We bypass the first one and stop in front of the second.

- Is anyone in the first room? - I ask curiously.

He briefly looks worried, but he quickly composes himself.

- That's the guest room. - he says and opens the door to the room we're in now. - This is mine.

I walk inside and gasp. Then his phone rings. I watch as he takes it out, debating whether to answer.