48. Fake Reality

Rain.

Sky and I catch each other's eyes as we settle on the tall stools in what I would describe as a rather westernized bar. The owner, a middle-aged woman, is thrilled by our visit and seems to know everyone since she energetically starts hugging and kissing the spouses of the Theerapanyakul family. Right after that, shots with dubious content are arranged in front of each of us.

- Cheеrs! - Porsche exclaims, and everyone except me and my brother raises their glasses and drinks. Then they clink their glasses on the counter, and everyone claps.

- Who are the new additions to the Porsche team? Introduce me. - the woman behind the bar says as she approaches us.

Porsche and Pete come and stand next to us.

- This is Natt's fiancé, Sky. - Porsche introduces him and puts his arm around his shoulders.

- Oh, my goodness - the woman makes a shocked expression. -Our boy is getting married? And you didn't tell me? - she pats Porsche on the shoulder and looks angry. - It feels like yesterday when he got together with Kinn, and now little Natt is getting married. How time flies - she says and extends her hand to Sky. - I'm Yok. Porsche's former employer and the owner of this bar.

- Sky. - my brother says, forcing a smile.

Fey leans towards me, observing the woman.

- I think her face might crack from all the plastic surgeries - she whispers, and I laugh.

She does look strange.

- Cutie - then she turns to me. - And what about this handsome one? - nodding towards me.

- This is Rain, Venice's boyfriend. - Mr. Pete says.

- Ex. - I quickly correct him. - We're no longer together.

- Ex - he repeats. - Currently, their relationship is in crisis.

- We're not in a crisis. We...

- I understand. Don't worry, boy. You've come to the right place. - the lady says and smiles at me in a way that's more frightening than comforting. - You have no idea how many times these boys have come here, shedding bitter tears, angry at their loved ones. But here, they find something they can't find anywhere else.

- What's that?

- Freedom. - she says and claps her hands. - Live and don't think about tomorrow. Be free here and now.

Everything erupts, the music drowns out the screams, and I grab the small glass and down its contents, determined to have fun tonight for the last time.

A little later, when everyone is comfortably drunk, we have a discussion about how one should not cheat, and how if you are from the Theerapanyakul family, they can easily bury you somewhere and never find you again.

- I'm telling you - Mr. Porsche stands up straight and speaks a bit unsteadily. - They don't deserve us. We're better off without them.

- I support that - Pete chimes in, looking at his glass with a wandering gaze.

The slightly crazy uncle of Venice stands up, leaning on the bar with one hand, and points at Fey's father with the other, looking angry but actually looking comical.

- Can you imagine what your husband can do while we're away? I swear on my children and my Gucci bag, I'll kill him. - he says, pointing into space.

Tay immediately jumps up.

- You don't know what yours can do. - he retorts, and Thankhun is ready to pounce on him.

- Hold me back, or I'll kill him.