Ch.16 S.4

I was confused as to what Seth meant.

Grey: "to protect my world..." I mumbled to him still not understanding what he said.

But after I second that dream I had earlier sprang like a spring in which I saw everyone I knew die horrible deaths.

After a couple of seconds my body healed and stood up and noticed everyone was still quiet. That was until the kids started bursting out questions so many in fact that Darrin just told them if they trained they can reach our level

"Well, I'm starving," Darrin announced. "Why don't we all go get that food?"

The housekeeper bowed politely and wrapped an arm around Katla's shoulders, holding Pen in the other. "Come on kids, can you help me set the table?"

Unlike before, on the balcony, the blond twins seemed discouraged at being alienated from the adults, their gazes of astonished excitement faded, as they murmured, "Yes, ma'am."

"Can't I ask Grey some questions?" Adem asked, pausing as Sorrel maneuvered the smaller children away. "That was great. I wanna-"

It was funny how he wanted to ask me questions because he didn't want to get even closer to my brother

"Adem," Darrin said quietly, and the boy's mouth snapped shut.

"Of course I am sorry. I'll go help with dinner."

Behind him, Briar hesitated for a long sigh, but when Darrin cleared his throat, she turned and followed the others. I couldn't help but notice when Briar paused at the door, giving me one last questioning look before disappearing.

When the group was carried off the training floor, Alaric tugged at the tattered part of Darrin's shirt. The blond man pulled his hand away playfully, but Alaric frowned seriously.

"That attack could have killed you," he said quietly.

"I know." Darrin clutched his neck and led the way out of the room. Over his shoulder, he said, "It was as if my mana had melted where the attack touched ..."

Darrin led us up the stairs to a surprisingly small dining room with a table for four.

He pulled an ornate bottle of amber liquid from a shelf and set it down heavily, patting Alaric on the back. "I've been saving this just for you."

Old man Alaric's eyes lit up like a child opening presents on his birthday, and he flung himself into a chair before tearing off the wax seal around the cork.

I slid into the chair across from Alaric and looked around. Aside from a couple of cabinets and shelves, there was also a tall, narrow bookcase in one corner, laden with leather-bound books. Next to the shelf, a window took up most of the back wall, overlooking the hills.

"What was that move you used back there, Grey and grey's brother I would like to know what move you did as well?" Darrin asked conversationally, turning his chair so he could rest his forearms on the back.

Satan: "a kick"

Darrin: "just a kick? No mana no secret to it?" Darrin asked not totally buying it

Satan: "a kick"

Darrin then sighed just taking it for granted, "well grey what was yours that you used?"

I forced an awkward laugh and rubbed the back of my neck. "It wouldn't make much sense to keep my runes hidden if I brag about them to everyone I know, right?"

"It's true," Darrin nodded. "I am against showing my runes as well - a few gapes and envious glances don't mean as much to me as they would to most mages.