Ch.2 S.5

Briar smirked. "This really is your first time to one of the big cities, isn't it?" "It's some kind of projection artifact?" I asked, taking a step closer. "Showing recorded images?" Once I was standing within a few feet of the artifact, a strong male voice filled my head.

"—truly horrifying images captured from Dicathen's easternmost country of Elenoir. The loss of life, both to the native Dicathians known as elves, and those brave Alacryans who had volunteered to relocate to the distant forests, is incalculable. High Sovereign Agrona insists on

calm, and requires all Alacryans to understand this assault by the vile asuras of Epheotus will not go unanswered.

"Furthermore, we will all join together to offer thanks to the High Sovereign, for continuing to protect us all in his—"

I took a step back, and the voice cut out. "Proximity telepathy?" I looked at Briar for confirmation.

She nodded, stepping back out of range herself. "My parents thought they were being really clever, guessing that the war was ending and betting on ascents instead. I guess the war isn't quite as over as they thought."

"Doesn't the idea of going to war with beings capable of obliterating an entire country scare you?" I ask, slightly surprised by her lack of either empathy or fear at the images still playing silently across the projection artifact.

Briar shrugged and began walking again. Over her shoulder, she said only, "The Vritra protect Alacrya."

"For how long..." I quietly muttered to myself with only Regis catching what I said to which he also stayed quiet.

I then made a note of the other merchants lining Sovereign Avenue, but didn't stop to linger again. Within a few minutes, we were standing between two towering complexes, and before us a black iron gate blocked entrance into what could only have been Central Academy.

Several groups of students were making their way toward the gates. A handful of girls paused suddenly as they noticed Briar and me, and gave a happy shout. Briar grinned and waved back.

"Even though this has been so much fun, this is where I leave you, Professor." She was already moving away when she said, "I assume you can find the way from here?"

"I think I'll manage," I called after her.

Trying to put the Alacryan girl out of my mind, I turned to examine the Ascenders Association building—or rather, buildings. The towering white buildings flanking the entrance to Central Academy were actually connected by several arched stone bridges at varying heights above me.

"Oh my Vritra, Briar. Who is that gorgeous man?"

Despite the distance to the group, the noise of the street, and my own distraction, my enhanced hearing was enough to pick up everything the group of girls was saying.

"Is that your boyfriend? You said you couldn't hang out because you were in training, Bee! But instead you've been off galavanting with—"

Time then stopped again I then looked around until my eyes landed on Seth who was leaning on the door frame

Satan: "hurry up" he said with a slight hint of annoyance with the crowd

Grey: "don't like crowds?"

He didn't answer back only giving me a nod in response

As we were walking I returned my attention to the Ascenders Association buildings. Black metal signs indicated that the entrance to my right was for "Testing & Teleportation" while the entrance to the left led to "Administration & Facilities."

Grey: "so do you mind telling me why you can't just kill agrona?"

Satan: "the king maybe weaker then me but that doesn't mean he won't destroy the planet if I get to out of hand." He then looked up to the ceiling and sighed before continuing, "he would rather have tathagata plans be destroyed of being the maitreya then having me running around and stopping it completely"

Grey: "so he doesn't want to destroy the world but would if this tathagata guys plans are close to being stopped"

Satan: "he needs a human to be a complete maitreya"

Regis: {"so I guess we don't worry about this until later then? Doesn't seem like our problem"}

Grey: {"Regis it is our problem—"}

Regis: {"no it's not. We aren't the ones in the situation where if we breath wrong the planet blows up"}

Grey: {"but we know the guy who can cause the planet to blow if he breaths wrong!"}

Regis: {"fair point"}