2

CHAPTER TWO
they took our Kie!

CHAPTER TWOthey took our Kie!

I'm awaken by a sudden shake in my arm. My first instinct is to swat my hand, just like I did back home to turn off my alarm. Instead of my alarm clock, my hand meets flesh.

"Bri- Shit!" I hear a familiar voice.

I blink my eyes open, and see JJ touching his right eye. I rub my eyes with the back of my hand and I mutter an apology. He's too preoccupied with something else to care. He just points at the sky and tells me to follow him.

"Johnny, wake up!" He pats my brother's head. "Get up."

Both of us realize there's a plane flying nearby at the same time. I'm suddenly awake, on my feet, shaking Kiara's arm while John B wakes Sarah up.

They run to the beach, screaming and yelling, moving their arms, trying to get the pilot to see them. Kiara and I stay back. We share a look. None of us wants to go home.

JJ is in front of us. He turns around and our eyes meet. I feel a knot in my throat, unable to say a word. I don't want to leave. I don't want to go back. I can't. I can't go back. I don't want to.

Opposite to me and JJ, Kiara starts screaming too. It lasts a second, before her face sinks into realization of what would happen once she got home.

The plane seems to ignore us for a second, making my heart jump in my chest with hope.

It doesn't last a second.

The plane turns around, and my heart sinks on my chest knowing what it means. He sees us. Kiara comes to same realization, voicing my thoughts out loud.

"He's gonna go to the pond!" John B screams, breaking in a run. "Come on, come on! Let's go!"

JJ and me grab everything we can, the few things we arrived here with. We stay in silence, following our friends, holding each other's hand.

We had everything we needed here. There's nothing waiting for us back in Kildare. We don't have any family. We just have the Pogues. So what's the point in going back?

All that's waiting for us is trouble.

The hydroplane's engine splutters off, and just as JB said, it lands on the pond. Everyone's cheering, celebrating the big rescue. But not me.

The door opens, and the stairs fall to the ground. John is leading the way with Sarah hot on his heels. A man with a long ponytail and pilot sunglasses comes out of the plane, greeting us.

"Well, what do we got here?" The man says, eyeing us all.

"Uh, you know... just some castaways."

"Well, I'll cross that off the grocery list." The man tries to joke.