36

CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

ROAD TO EL DORADO, PT 1

I spent the whole fly biting my nails anxiously. I sat between Kie and JJ. She was as worried as I was. JJ tried to calm us down several times, but it was useless. There was too much going on, I couldn't just not think about it.

It isn't just my dad now, it's also my brother and our friends. How are we supposed to find them?

JJ said we would land a couple hours out of Tres Rocas, at a farm. Kiara and I looked at each other with worry, but he quickly assured us that Barracuda Mike had said that there was a bus into town that we could catch.

I'm not trusting the word of a man named Barracuda Mike, but apparently that's just me.

To my relief there was indeed a bus. We jumped on it, with our backpacks hanging from our shoulders. Both Kie and I took a second to put our hair up, feeling the hair sticking to the sweat on our foreheads and the back of our necks. Temperature is hotter than I expected.

That takes us to right now, Kiara, JJ and I sharing a seat in the bus full of tourists and local people. My knee bounces up and down as I keep moving my leg, unable to sit still. My mind keeps thinking of my brother, and my eyes scan the streets on each side, hoping to catch a familiar face.

I've got this feeling in my chest, almost like a pinch. It's almost making me nauseous. I need to find my family.

"So right here, you have Tesoro." The local man says, reminding me of where I am. "Up here," His finger travels up and down on the map, "Orinoco, right? And they say up here," He drags his finger higher, "El Dorado."

I frown, wiping off the sweat on my forehead with my hand. "Who says?"

"All the world."

"If all the world says it, why hasn't it been found?" Kiara questions, eyeing the man suspiciously.

He just shrugs, "Some people say it doesn't exist. Some people say it's hidden and only one very special person can find it."

"Yeah, that sounds like something my dad would say..." I whisper to myself, rolling my eyes.

"But most people say it's maldito."

"Maldito?" Kie asks.

"It means cursed. They think El Dorado it's cursed." I explain.

"You speak Spanish?" JJ knits his eyebrows looking at me with lips parted.

"Un poco." I smirk, cocking an eyebrow.